This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2801 / 53°16'48"N
Longitude: -4.2084 / 4°12'30"W
OS Eastings: 252854
OS Northings: 378182
OS Grid: SH528781
Mapcode National: GBR HNZ1.308
Mapcode Global: WH53T.BT77
Entry Name: Plas Gwyn
Location: Set back, within private grounds, between the A5025 and the B5109 SW of Pentraeth.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Locality: Plas Gwyn Estate
Traditional County: Anglesey
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Last Amended: 14 January 2003
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 5450
Mid C18 Georgian mansion built for William Jones and completed in 1754. The house replaced the original ''''''''Plas Gwyn'''''''', home of the Jones family which may have been built in late C16: there is a datestone in the house which bears the date and initials: 1578 / I R / I U G (information from estate manager). Sadly William died in the year following the completion of the house and in 1756 his heiress, Jane, married Paul Panton of Bagillt. The estate passed down to their 2nd son, Jones Panton, after the death of his older brother Paul. Jones Panton had a large family, but the line failed in the next generation and went to the granddaughter, who married Captain Thomas Webb. By the time of the Tithe Apportionment of the parish, 1841, the estate was owned by the Right Honorable Lord Vivian and has passed down through the family to the late husband of the present owner. The house is mainly unaltered, but has some C19 modifications, including a glazed conservatory over the central courtyard to W and a small lean-to addition in the yard to rear.
Mid C18 brick built mansion of 3 storeys and cellar. Shallow hipped slate roof has tall slender rendered rectangular stacks with capping. The entrance front faces N, a symmetrical 7-window range, the central 3 bays are advanced and pedimented, with a moulded cornice which continues across N and E elevations. The central entrance has engaged Doric columns supporting an entablature with triglyph frieze and pediment. Original door with decorated lower panels and panelled jambs. Windows to ground and 1st floors are 12-pane hornless sashes, 2nd floor windows have 6 panes; all have flat brick heads and stone sills.
The L (E) elevation is also a 7-window range with moulded eaves cornice, the 3 central bays advanced as a full height canted bay. Windows are similar to entrance front except for the ground floor which has tall 3 and 6-pane casements.
The R (W) side has rendered elevations with ashlar scoring and comprises 2 parallel wings arranged around a central courtyard which is now occupied by a ground floor glazed conservatory. The recessed W wall has a 1st floor Venetian window lighting the staircase, the 2nd floor has a 6-pane hornless sash and there is a tall 6-pane light between the 2 floors to the R.
The rear (S) wall is also rendered, with 5 windows across the range, the 2nd window from L blank, detailed as for the front; a wider 8-pane ground floor window to R of the lean-to addition is a later widening of the original window. To R of the range are boarded doors and a small paned light to the cellars. To L is a C19 lean-to addition which has 2 large 6-pane lights along S wall, rooflights in alignment above and entry by a boarded door in the E wall.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey, but is described in detail in the RCAHM Inventory of Anglesey which reads:
The hall has original doorway to the flanking rooms with moulded architraves and pointed pediments, a type characteristic of a date earlier in the C18. The doorway to the staircase-hall has a segmental arch with a keystone, panelled pilasters and a fanlight; a similar dooway leads from the stair-hall to the kitchen. The hall fireplace has a simple moulded architrave and a panel above; the ceiling is plain but has a moulded plaster cornice. The library has a panelled dado, moulded and enriched cornice, and an original fireplace with fluted pilasters supporting a broken pediment above the mantel. The drawing room, originally 2 rooms, was converted into one in the C19 by the insertion of 2 arches in the dividing wall. The walls of the N portion have a panelled dado and an enriched plaster cornice; a cornice and broken scroll pediment, all with egg-and-tongue enrichment. The S portion was redecorated in the early C19. The 6-panelled door is original. The dining room has wood panelled walls and a moulded cornice with mutules and egg-and-tongue ornament. The fireplace is flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters standing on pedestals, with a frieze only above.
The staircase has slender turned balusters and moulded mahogany hand rail. It is lighted from the courtyard by a ''''''''Venetian'''''''' window with Ionic pilasters, moulded cornices and architraves. At the top of the stair is a screen to the passage with slender Doric columns and a segmental arch. The landing has a moulded cornice. The bedroom doorways have moulded architraves and 6-panelled doors. The bedrooms on both floors generally contain original details, cornices, fireplaces etc. The bedroom over the entrance hall retains its original cast-iron hob grate.
Listed at Grade II* as an exceptionally fine Georgian brick mansion, a unique example of this type on Anglesey. The house retains its original character and many original features both internally and externally.
Other nearby listed buildings