This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0003 / 52°0'1"N
Longitude: -3.1898 / 3°11'23"W
OS Eastings: 318417
OS Northings: 234207
OS Grid: SO184342
Mapcode National: GBR YY.J3DW
Mapcode Global: VH6BP.NZKG
Entry Name: Llanelieu Court
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 14 August 1995
Source ID: 6649
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the end of the Cwm Rhyd-Ellywe, on the corner of the road leading up on to the Rh_s fach.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The earlier building is claimed to have C14 monastic associations with Llanthony Priory. In the C17 house was the seat of the Aubrey family whose monuments occur in the church.
Part of a C15/C16 house, the W section rebuilt in the later C19 as a 3-bay 2-storey house with gable stacks and a 2-bay 2-storey rear wing containing a bay of the late medieval building, of which 2 bays survive. Limewashed rubble stone with slate roof. One bay with cross passage, and door at side of a large stack into the second bay, now within the rebuilt rear wing of the C19 house. C19 3-light casement windows with cambered heads to rear wing.
External pointed arched doorway with a later medieval double-ogee bracket moulding. Battened door with original ironmongery, and drawbar to rear. Above the door, a reset moulded voussoir inscribed appropriately EXITVS / ACTA:PROBAT / 1676, and a second stone with a much weathered inscription reading SIC HORA SIC VITA / DEUS NOBIS HOEC OTIA FECIT / R A / W M Anno Domini noctua vola 1676 W A H. Haslam records the identification of these and a third inscription set up opposite, to be from Virgil's Eclogues and from Ovid's Heroides. The initials are those of William and Richard Aubrey.
The rear wing gable has replaced windows, and a parallel wing on the S side.
The cross passage is lower than the road, and has the jambs of a similar pointed arched door at the entrance to the added kitchen at the rear. Two-centred chamfered arch from the cross passage runs at the side of the stack to the hall. Three ceiling bays divided by chamfered beams. Very large monolithic lintel to fireplace, and beyond, a further chamfered door stepping up to former stair.
Included for the special interest of its late medieval origins and sub-medieval remodelling.
Other nearby listed buildings