This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8766 / 51°52'35"N
Longitude: -3.2729 / 3°16'22"W
OS Eastings: 312467
OS Northings: 220551
OS Grid: SO124205
Mapcode National: GBR YV.RSYD
Mapcode Global: VH6CF.7326
Entry Name: Llanddetty Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 17 January 1963
Last Amended: 17 December 1998
Source ID: 6728
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Backs onto the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal, a little N of Llanddetty church and on rising ground W of the road to Talybont; reached by a drive.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
C17 in origin reputedly built during Cromwellian period, owned by staunch Roundhead Jenkin Jones who was a captain in the Parliamentary Army and fired a musket in the church of Llanddetti at the Restoration, subsequently jailed in Carmarthen. House altered when canal was built around 1800 which involved raising ground level to rear; roof raised at this time. Inhabited by George Overton c 1815 who with Dixon built the Brynoer tramroad from the Trefil limestone quarries to Talybont. One time home of Mrs Wyndham Lewis MP who later became the wife of Disraeli. Was also the home of Edmund Gwynne for many years Chief Constable of Breconshire. 1963 list description records that top floor windows were blocked but these have been re-opened.
Large gentleman's farmhouse. Of stone rubble rendered and scored to front and painted to side; Welsh slate roof with overhanging eaves, boarded soffit, decorative bargeboards and narrow rendered paired and angled stacks, including one external left and one right on former external wall. Front elevation has a 5 window range of 3/3 pane horned sashes in reveals, similarly spaced windows but with altered glazing to 2nd storey, and larger to ground floor with roughly central gabled porch; a wider space between 4th and 5th bays right indicates the added or raised wing. Farmyard elevation has two pointed arched Gothick windows one blocked and perching ledges for pigeons, other windows under timber lintels, round arched front doorway left. Rear elevation has further gothick windows and long narrow staircase window; blocked archway and other signs of alteration.
Not inspected at time of survey (22nd October 1997).
Listed as a gentleman's farmhouse of C17 origin and with important historical associations.
Group value with the barn and attached ranges.
Other nearby listed buildings