Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1546 / 52°9'16"N
Longitude: -3.124 / 3°7'26"W
OS Eastings: 323197
OS Northings: 251298
OS Grid: SO231512
Mapcode National: GBR F1.6FQ0
Mapcode Global: VH6B4.S3TM
Entry Name: Baynham Hall
Location: Elevated position below Disgwylfa Hill on N side of Arrow valley 1+ miles NW of Michaelchurch-on-Arrow.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Listing Date: 21 September 1962
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 8783
Early C18 L-plan two-storey range with later one-and-a-half storey service wing to left. Formal front elevation of well cut rubble blocks, plinth and platt band, wide pediment, hipped stone tile roof, boxed eaves. Two projecting rubble end stacks with offsets, that to the right with moulded cap. Central door of eight raised and fielded panels, four windows to ground floor, three to first floor, all under flat voussoir heads. Ground floor windows modern casements, first floor and attic windows have original heavy chamfered frames but renewed timber casements, the attic window is in Venetian style. Wing to left has three eaves dormers and large rubble stack with bread oven to rear. Further granary wing projects, set into the hillslope.
Largely unaltered plan form and with many period details. Wide staircase hall, good quality stairs with slender turned balusters, moulded handrail, closed string, squared newel with corner mouldings. Front rooms have raised and fielded panelled window seats and raised and fielded panelled doors, six panels to downstairs doors, four to upstairs. The service wing has heavy re-used beams, large open fireplace with cambered voussoir lintel, inset with brick for range and copper.
A fine rural example of an earlier C18 house with simple pre-Georgian proportions.
Other nearby listed buildings