This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8562 / 51°51'22"N
Longitude: -4.3079 / 4°18'28"W
OS Eastings: 241153
OS Northings: 220035
OS Grid: SN411200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T82G
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.8LXV
Entry Name: No.36 Blue Street & Adjoining Outbuilding,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9425
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on corner of Guildhall Square.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early C19 town house, now coffee house, one of a small number of Georgian brick fronts still unpainted in the town. Marked on 1834 map. Occupied by F. Rowe, hairdresser, in 1914 and 1926. Ground floor altered with new shopfront in later C20, photograph taken in 1960s shows a central pedimented door and a window to the left. The rubble stone section to right appears to have been an outbuilding, now included.
Terraced house and shop, 3 storeys, 3 bays with slate low-pitched roof and short brick right end stack. Red brick front with straight joint to No 11 Guildhall Square to left. Low plinth of stone merging into brick. Windows with cambered brick heads and slate sills. Square 6-pane sash windows on second floor, 12-pane on first floor and to ground floor right (on both sides in 1981). Central doorway and C20 shop-window to left in C20 casing of pilasters and fascia, all inserted since 1981. Rendered right end wall.
Low attached outbuilding of painted stone and brick to right, two-storeys, wedge-shaped, with slate roof, lean-to against adjoining property, the ridge-line sloping, hipped to right. Former door to left now shop-window with timber casing, and 12-pane sash window above and slightly to right. Also a small square window with iron bars to ground floor centre. To centre right, a blocked mid-height opening above a blocked doorway. Ground floor right corner is rounded. Narrow rendered right end has ventilator slit at first floor.
Ground and first floor in use as a coffee shop at time of resurvey, exposed fireplace at left end each floor. The earlier C19 staircase with square balusters and turned newel noted in 1981 survives only from first floor upwards. The six-panelled doors have gone.
Included as a Georgian brick town house retaining some original detail, of group value with No 11 Guildhall Square.
Other nearby listed buildings