This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8565 / 51°51'23"N
Longitude: -4.3059 / 4°18'21"W
OS Eastings: 241292
OS Northings: 220057
OS Grid: SN412200
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T8KQ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9LZP
Entry Name: No.60 King Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 19 May 1981
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9473
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated opposite entrance to Queen Street.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Late C18 brick fronted house with similarities to No 46 King Street. The residence of the Rev. David Charles (1762-1834) Calvinistic Methodist minister, ropemaker, paper-mill owner and author of notable hymns including O fryniau Caersalem, listed in King Street in 1819, and subsequently his son David Charles Jr, ropemaker and builder, until c1862. In 1884 occupied by Charles Jones, hairdresser, and in 1914 and 1926, John Davies & Son, drapers.
House now shop with accommodation above, painted brick with parapet and slate pyramid close-eaved roof. Three storeys, 3-bays with large painted stone or stucco voussoirs and keystones to upper floor openings with hornless sashes. Nine-pane sashes on 2nd floor, 12-pane on 1st floor. Window spacing is uneven, with closer spacing between centre and right bays. Late C20 timber shopfront with door in centre and house door to right, all in casing of outer pilasters, fascia and cornice. Rear roof is hipped, 2 horizontal windows to attic, 2 12-pane to first floor.
Ground floor shop entirely altered. In 1981 there were fielded panelled doors and earlier C19 elliptical staircase with straight balusters, apparently removed.
Included as a late C18 Georgian town house, retaining its brick frontage.
Other nearby listed buildings