This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8558 / 51°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.3071 / 4°18'25"W
OS Eastings: 241208
OS Northings: 219988
OS Grid: SN412199
Mapcode National: GBR DG.T895
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.9MC5
Entry Name: Nos.2 & 3 Quay Street,,,,,dyfed,
Listing Date: 18 August 1954
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 9556
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 5m SW of junction with St Mary's Street.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Terraced house, a pair with No 3, probably built in earlier C18, in a style popular in London from late C17 to c.1730, and originally in red brick, then fashionable but rare in W Wales. Marked on 1834 map.
Quay Street is the most complete street of C18 houses left in Carmarthen, the street formed in the early C12 and already by the late middle ages the street of Carmarthen's most prominent families. No 19, which has been demolished, was dated 1698. It is not yet possible to establish precise dates for the other houses but most of them seem to be of early to mid C18 date, some retaining panelling and staircases of the period.
No 2 was restored in 1993 by H.B Thomas, builders. It had been the premises of D. Beynon Jones tailor from the late C19 to the 1930s, with workrooms to the rear, and to have been in extreme disrepair by 1989. In 2002 the offices of the county council Corporate Trading Unit.
Terraced house, painted brick, slate deep-eaved roof with heavy moulded eaves cornice with large modillions. Shared stuccoed stack to left. Two-storey and attic, originally a 5-window range like No 3 and No 10, but here first floor altered to 3 windows, only the centre opening original. Two small 16-pane sash dormers, with sloping slate roofs and slate cheeks. Upper floor has renewed 12-pane sashes in outer bays and 24-pane (of similar size) to centre, with thick glazing bars, so possibly original with early glass. On ground floor, 2 renewed 12-pane sashes either side of central doorway and two cellar openings with 6-pane sashes and exterior bars to left of doorway but one to right boarded. Four slate steps up to 6-panel door with top 2 panels glazed and with diagonal planking to rear face. Above, renewed flat hood on original carved and scrolled trusses. Brick voussoirs to openings, raised 3-course brick band between floors, with moulded lower course. painted rubble stone flush plinth.
Interior much renewed in late C20, wide C18 staircase with 4-flights, pulvinated, turned balusters and square newels, much renewed, a pair with stair in No.3. Doors mostly renewed, one 2-panel fielded-panelled first floor door. Ground floor left room has late C19 fireplace and grate.
Included as a fine early Georgian town house in the most complete street of C18 houses in the town, exceptionally good early C18 exterior.
Other nearby listed buildings