This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8164 / 51°48'59"N
Longitude: -4.1196 / 4°7'10"W
OS Eastings: 253990
OS Northings: 215209
OS Grid: SN539152
Mapcode National: GBR DQ.WLT3
Mapcode Global: VH4J7.JLZX
Entry Name: Agricultural Range known as 'the Barn' at Heol-ddu
Listing Date: 14 January 1993
Last Amended: 5 February 1999
Source ID: 9756
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Heol-ddu is situated nearly 1km NW of Foelgastell, midway between Cefneithin and Porthyrhyd. This building lies on the NE edge of the farm complex and it faces the main farmhouse.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Heol-ddu is an interesting example of an C18 farm that was occupied by 2 brothers of the Lloyd family; the initials P LL, thought to be Phillip Lloyd, the father, are found on the datestone of the main house.
This building is dated, between loft doors to right of centre, P LL 1766. Although it is known as a barn it does not conform to the usual barns in this corn growing area. In particular the doors are not big enough to allow waggon entry and would not have provided the draught necessary for a threshing floor. However, there are numerous small ventilator openings, visible internally, of about 500mm by 200mm wide, six in the rear wall and ten in the left gable wall. There is no clear evidence of a complete upper floor and there was no attic floor.
It has a front elevation of three windows superficially, and perhaps intentionally, resembling the two houses, and the oak frames are externally rebated as if for glazing; but there are no attic or rear windows and no chimneys. It might have been intended as a second stable block, with heck-doors and a partial loft, or as a storage barn. It has contained machinery at some later date, of which a surviving shaft penetrates the rear wall.
A substantial wing to the right of the rear elevation existed in 1905 but has been removed. There is a single storey shed in tandem at left.
Tall two-storey building in rubble sandstone masonry with dressed quoins, slate roof. Three-opening front elevation facing south-west to the main farmhouse: central heck door (1.22m wide), walled up windows, and 3 evenly-spaced square loft openings above; boarded doors (not original) and timber lintels. Similar size heck door centrally at rear. Stepped down to left end is an added low outbuilding, also rubble with slate roof. Ruinous pigsty to rear. The right elevation has a central door and a large walled-up opening above. Left gable elevation largely concealed under ivy.
Five-bay roof structure with light collar-beam trusses. In the rear wall are two rows of three ventilator holes, in the left gable three rows, of two, four and four holes respectively, all blocked. Possible marks of a loft or upper floor at left. A shaft for belt-pulleys survives at the right, but no other machinery.
Listed as an C18 agricultural building nearly contemporary with the main house in this well-preserved C18 farm group.
Other nearby listed buildings