Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2854 / 52°17'7"N
Longitude: -4.1822 / 4°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 251246
OS Northings: 267491
OS Grid: SN512674
Mapcode National: GBR 8M.Y4X7
Mapcode Global: VH3JF.GTDD
Entry Name: Church of St. Ffraed
Location: Situated at the end of Stryd-y-Eglwys from Llanon, some 350m E of the coast at Llansantffraed and 50m N of the Afon Peris.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Source ID: 9815
Anglican parish church with medieval battlemented W tower, the rest rebuilt 1839-40. Roger de Clare, Earl of Hertford, either gave or ratified an earlier grant of the church of Llansantffraed and a large amount of land to the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem when he occupied Ceredigion between 1158 and 1164. The tower of the current church is probably C14 and the rest was rebuilt in 1839-41 by David Francis of Llanon. A gallery was erected in 1865 paid for by the Morgan family of Alltlwyd.
Rubblestone with some slate-hanging. Imposing C14 W tower with high battered base and NE stair tower. Small sandstone cusped lights, mostly single, except 2-light E bell-opening. W door recessed in base with eroded sandstone frame and stone voussoirs. Corbelled embattled parapet. 1840 church has 3-bay single-roofed nave and chancel with coped gables, 3 long Tudor-arched 2-light Perp. style windows to each side with raised pilaster piers between and at outer angles. Coped shouldered gables and E similar 3-light window. S side has been slate-hung subsequently. Window tracery is unusually good for the period in this area. Three of the oldest gravestones are affixed to the exterior walls. These monuments are to Alban Thomas (d1741) and Lewis Davies (d1747) on the S wall and to Mary Evans (d1770) on the E wall.
Single chamber interior with W gallery, flat plastered ceiling with moulded cornice and 2 roses . Gallery has timber front panelled in 2 long panels, and supported on 4 fluted iron columns. Two stained glass windows, the central S window (1973) of St Non, St David and St Ffraed and the E window (1975) of the risen Christ, both by Celtic Studios. Raked pews and C20 organ in gallery. Grained box to body of church., 1929-30 Gothic wood pulpit and chancel fittings. Two Victorian hanging brass coronae. C12 or C13 pale stone font with incised band of rosettes around a rectangular bowl, the sides below trapezoid and the angles chamfered. Circular stem, square base. Font is similar to those at Henfynyw and Betws Bledrws. NE stair to tower and cambered-arched entry to gallery through 2 panelled doors. Medieval bell frame in tower designed to hold 3 bells. Victorian bell frame has been superimposed on it.
Included at II* as a church with fine medieval tower and unusual internal design c1840 in the preaching house tradition.
Other nearby listed buildings