This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4127 / 52°24'45"N
Longitude: -4.0856 / 4°5'8"W
OS Eastings: 258242
OS Northings: 281453
OS Grid: SN582814
Mapcode National: GBR 8R.P4PG
Mapcode Global: VH4FC.4MG9
Entry Name: The Old Bank House
Location: Set into the continuos row of frontages stepped in the slope; set back from adjoining properties behind contemporary cast-iron railings.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Listing Date: 21 July 1961
Last Amended: 24 November 1987
Building Class: Education
Source ID: 10195
Opened in 1760, it housed the first bank in Aberystwyth and possibly in Wales; known as the Ship Bank as it was established to serve the maritime community. In 1806 a new bank was established or the partnership changed and it continued until 1836 when it was taken over by the North and South Wales Bank which in 1870 moved to a new office. Subsequently divided up as University accommodation.
Late Georgian 3-storey and attic 3-window painted roughcast front with rusticated ground floor below cill band. Slate roof, boxed bracket eaves and brick chimney stack; pitched roof dormers, one with sash window. Small pane sash windows, with margins to 1st and 2nd floors. Fine paired classical doorcase offset to right with bracket cornice, entablature frieze and fluted pilasters; 6 panel doors and traceried fanlights.
The iron emblem over the cill band relates to the Black Sheep Bank which was elsewhere in Bridge Street and was mistakenly placed on this building.
Other nearby listed buildings