This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0593 / 52°3'33"N
Longitude: -4.2595 / 4°15'34"W
OS Eastings: 245190
OS Northings: 242506
OS Grid: SN451425
Mapcode National: GBR DJ.DG3H
Mapcode Global: VH3KK.4H0Q
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 13 January 1993
Last Amended: 13 January 1993
Source ID: 10585
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at centre of village on crossroads.
Locality: Capel Dewi
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1835 and 1886 Anglican chapel of ease, the 1835 building by Rees Davies of Trewindsor, Llandysul, the 1886 remodelling by Middleton, Prothero and Phillott of Cheltenham.
Rubble stone with slate roofs, aisleless nave and chancel, W tower and large gabled transepts. Coped gables, the W tower partly on the ridge, simple Gothic with plain pointed bell-openings and corbelled embattled parapet. Two pointed small lights in tower W front, 1835 date plaque and pointed arched W door with hoodmould. Large angle buttresses to nave and transept angles of one step and flat-capped. Nave has 1835 Y-tracery 3-light window each side with hoodmoulds. On S side a narrow cusped lancet to left lights tower stair. Transept stonework looks of 1835 but big 3-light Perp style traceried windows of 1886. Chancel appears all of 1886 with ashlar eaves course, two 2-light Perp style windows to S, 3-light E window, and N side lean-to vestry and one 3-light window.
Fine 1886 single open barrel roof, plastered walls, moulded 1886 arches to transepts, which have similar roofs, no chancel arch and segmental pointed inner arches to chancel windows.
Alabaster 5-panel reredos in Gothic timber frame, 3 chancel side wall stained glass windows all signed Jones & Willis 1904, the large E window unsigned of c1902. In tower plain pointed arch each side, one to nave, one to S side spiral stair up to ringing floor, all crudely Gothic of 1835. Jones & Willis supplied the font, lectern and pulpit desk in 1886, Messrs Singer of Frome the cross and candlesticks. The E window is said to reproduce a painting by Gustave Dore.
Other nearby listed buildings