History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rafel

A Grade II Listed Building in Crymych, Pembrokeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0027 / 52°0'9"N

Longitude: -4.6587 / 4°39'31"W

OS Eastings: 217596

OS Northings: 237140

OS Grid: SN175371

Mapcode National: GBR CZ.HYYN

Mapcode Global: VH2N2.6XHM

Entry Name: Rafel

Listing Date: 16 February 1987

Last Amended: 18 June 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13039

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approached along a farm track N from the Blaenffos to Crosswell road and situated to W of Neuadd farmyard.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Boncath

Community: Crymych

Locality: Llanfair Nant Gwyn

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

History

Small farmhouse of late C18 or early C19. Marked on 1836 Tithe map as Yr Avel, owned by Thomas Bowen and Dr John Bowen, occupied by William Phillips. In later C19 part of the estate of J. W. Bowen of Trefach and Plas y Bridell, for whom the slate porch added c 1871 (similar porches on Trefach and other estate houses). The C20 wooden plaque with 1784 date is of uncertain relevance. Restored since listing in 1987 when it had a cemented slate roof.

Exterior

House, rubble stone with slate roof. Two storeys, double-fronted offset to left with large stone right end chimney, small stone left chimney. Two 9-pane casements under eaves, over 4-pane horned sashes with timber lintels flanking late C19 slate enclosed porch. Porch is of slate slab with moulded pediment, the tympanum with elongated quatrefoil panel inscribed JWB. Sides of porch and front piers flanking 4-panel door are large slate sheets with incised rustication. Slate sills. To ground floor extreme right is a tiny 4-pane fireplace window with slate lintel. Whitewashed rubble left (W) end wall with one window in ground floor of rear outshut. Rear outshut has single square centre window.
Attached to right of house is altered former byre in white painted stone with C20 slate roof. Two windows, door, window, narrow light and infilled cart-entry. S end has outside steps to loft door.

Interior

Not inspected. Said to have large fireplace with timber lintel to S end, winding staircase to left, beamed ceilings.

Reasons for Listing

Included as small traditional farmhouse which has retained its regional character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pant y Deri
    Reached by a drive E off a minor road some 2.3km W of Blaenffos.
  • II Church of Saint Mary
    On the N side of the entrance to the drive to Pant y Deri some 2.5km W of Blaenffos.
  • II Blaenfos Baptist Chapel
    Situated in centre of Blaenffos, between A 478 and lane to Crosswell.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.