This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6203 / 51°37'13"N
Longitude: -3.4526 / 3°27'9"W
OS Eastings: 299532
OS Northings: 192272
OS Grid: SS995922
Mapcode National: GBR HK.948F
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.3JLR
Entry Name: Ebenezer Welsh Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 22 May 1978
Last Amended: 27 September 1996
Source ID: 13117
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the main thoroughfare in a commanding position above the road and next to the Police Station.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Independent Cause in mid-Rhondda established 1865 under leadership of Charles Jenkins, William Jones, David Thomas. Chapel built 1867-8, builder William Richards at cost of £1000, remained centre of Cause in the Rhondda. Repairs and foundations strengthened 1873, new organ installed and improvements and repairs 1892, Revival 1904-5. Refurbishment possibly by Owen Morris Roberts and Son of Port Madoc.
Main chapel building at present disused and in deteriorating condition. A richly furnished interior. Four sided raked gallery supported by 10 iron bracketed fluted piers with painted capitals, very decorative panelled fronts of carved and polished contrasting woods incorporating fretwork panels and ebony colonnettes with planked soffit; windows have hood moulds and label stops, ventilators and gas brackets on scored walls; platform with 2 flights of stairs to carved and moulded pulpit, decoratively panelled to rear of triple seat and with curved and decoratively panelled front with fretwork to set fawr - all fittings richly carved and the arrangement intact; above is the organ by Peter Conacher of Springwood Huddersfield c1892 flanked by 6 painted pilasters on gallery walls on either side; very decorative ceiling with 2 large roses incorporating ventilators and 13 other smaller versions within a panelled part plaster part boarded framework, a separately decorated panelled rosed ceiling above the organ; coloured glass windows to rear. Because the entrance is via an open loggia rather than the more common enclosed vestibule the windows are much larger and the interior therefore much lighter than is usual in this area.
Listed II* as one of the finest chapels in the Rhondda, retaining an exceptionally rich interior with fittings complete.
Other nearby listed buildings