This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6013 / 51°36'4"N
Longitude: -3.3436 / 3°20'37"W
OS Eastings: 307036
OS Northings: 190017
OS Grid: ST070900
Mapcode National: GBR HQ.B7NJ
Mapcode Global: VH6DR.006S
Entry Name: Rhondda Branch Junction Signal Box
Listing Date: 17 July 1990
Last Amended: 26 February 2001
Source ID: 13527
Building Class: Transport
Location: To N of the Railway Station within the junction of the railway lines immediately N of Sardis Road and S of the 2 viaducts spanning the River Rhondda.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The Taff Vale Railway was the first major locomotive railway in Wales. It was incorporated in 1836, built 1837-40 and opened in 1840-1 from Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff, primarily to serve the ironworks of Merthyr Tydfil. The chief engineer was Isambard Kingdom Brunel. As branch lines were built to the Cynon and Rhondda valleys later in the C19 mineral traffic, largely coal, increased dramatically, making Pontypridd an important focal point of the S Wales railway network. The signal box was sited at the Rhondda Branch Junction. The design, by McKenzie and Holland, is a modified version of their Type 3 design. It was built after 1895 and is possibly contemporary with the 1907 reconstruction of the station.
A 2-storey red brick building with slate roof. At the S end 2 bays have been reduced to a single storey with a flat roof, but was formerly 6 1-bays long. A name plate reads 'Pontypridd JCSB'.
The signal box once contained 230 levers.
Listed for group value with other listed railway items in the centre of Pontypridd.
Other nearby listed buildings