Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4802 / 51°28'48"N
Longitude: -3.1785 / 3°10'42"W
OS Eastings: 318254
OS Northings: 176350
OS Grid: ST182763
Mapcode National: GBR KJM.7C
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.V2H3
Entry Name: Cardiff Central Market
Location: On large site between Trinity Street and St Mary Street, with Trinity Street entrance opposite St John's Gardens.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Building Class: Commercial
Source ID: 13811
Opened 8 May 1891. By William Harpur, Borough Engineer of Cardiff, replacing Edward Haycock's market of 1835. The redevelopment of Market Buildings on St Mary Street in 1884-1886 spurred Cardiff Borough to rebuild the market. The elaborate wrought iron and steel shed, and cast iron window tracery are by Andrew Handyside & Co, of Derby. The building cost under £16000, and provided stalls for 349 traders, lit by 720 gas burners. Restored for its centenary 1988-1991.
Three bay classical facade of yellow brick and grey Forest of Dean ashlar. Three equal-height bays with stone pediments and pilasters. Central opening has elliptical arch enclosing upper wrought iron grille with date "1891, inscription "Cardiff market", and borough arms. Outer bays have narrower arched windows with cast iron tracery. Above facade, iron and glass gable end of main hall is visible. At St Mary Street entrance, beneath archway of Market buildings, pair of elaborate wrought-iron gates.
Triangular fish market with iron-framed roof leads to main hall with its complex wrought-iron and steel glazed roof. Eight bays; lattice-girder principals, steel tie bars with scrolls to centres, wrought-iron stanchions with decorative brackets: arcaded glazing to each bay. Bays originally enclosed 3 stalls (some now combined); fascia boards. Continuous gallery on iron pillars (which articulate stalls below); wrought-iron parapet. Two sets of stairs to E and W ends with iron parapets. Many stalls bear original cast-iron mumbers; 2 storey market superintendant's office surmounted by clock. At NW corner, on ground floor, a cast-iron K6 type telephone kiosk.
Graded II* as amongst most ambitious civic market buildings in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings