Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5314 / 51°31'53"N
Longitude: -3.125 / 3°7'30"W
OS Eastings: 322057
OS Northings: 181988
OS Grid: ST220819
Mapcode National: GBR KX0.6Z
Mapcode Global: VH6F1.SR8W
Entry Name: Church of St Edeyrn
Location: In the centre of the still identifiable hamlet of Llanedeyrn though close to motorway, housing and business developments. Standing in the centre of a roughly triangular sloping churchyard, the main e
Community: Old St. Mellons
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Listing Date: 28 January 1963
Last Amended: 31 August 2000
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Source ID: 13868
Medieval church, restored in 1888. An early Christian site; St Edeyrn reputedly founded a religious community on the banks of the River Rumney (Renis) in C5; he died 522 and is reputedly buried in the churchyard. Normans established a new church on site as Chapel of Ease of St Mary's Cardiff. Subsequently in C12 under Robert Fitzhamon Lord of Glamorgan and Cardiff chapel was recognised as property of Tewkesbury Abbey; in 1236 it was returned to Bishop of Llandaff, becoming a separate parish. Large Perpendicular windows are c 1500 and tower probably early C16. Chancel E wall rebuilt 1888. Parish retains plate of C17 and C18, some on loan to National Museum of Wales. Since listing a Welsh slate roof has replaced the machine tiles, the exterior has been rendered apart from quoins and cast iron down pipes have been added to tower. Former open fire sited in SE nave, relating to the still visible external chimney.
Medieval church. Plan of nave, very slightly lower chancel, S porch and W tower. Of limewashed stone with Welsh slate roof. W tower has embattled moulded parapet and string course; to E and W 2 small pierced stone lights in a rectangular frame to belfry; N and S sides have stone louvred belfry openings of 2 lights with four-centred arched heads; S side also has small lights with spandrels at two levels, the lower with a sundial above; N side also has a stone tiled tower staircase projection; W side has moulded pointed arched doorway with hoodmould, high plinth and possible date 15..; tower plinth is battered. S porch has battered walls incorporating some unusually large stone blocks and ventilation holes; moulded pointed-arched doorway without capitals, worn plinth; inside porch is a flag floor, stone benches and a stone barrel vault, all unrendered; plain pointed chamfered arched inner door; on ground adjacent to E wall is the socket stone of the former churchyard cross. S nave has left (W) of porch a window of paired cusped lights with chamfered mullion; right (E) of porch is a narrow lancet, then a later large 3-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arched head and deep hoodmould; nearby further E at eaves level is a 2-light window to former roodloft; above is an unusually sited tall round chimney stack with ring mouldings, broached to a hexagonal base. Chancel of equal width has a S window of paired cusped lights in a rectangular surround and adjacent a low pointed-arched chamfered priests' door, blocked; 3-light C19 E window with reticulated tracery and narrow hood; N chancel has single lancet with ogee-arched head. N nave has shallow projection for the rood stair at E end, large 3 light Perpendicular 4-centred arched window with deep hoodmould adjacent, matching that to S; further small lancet to W.
Interior is rendered. Flight of 5 steps rises from W nave to tower incorporating a stone bench; separate flight of 3 steep steps to shouldered tower doorway at NW. 7-bay boarded waggon roof to nave. Small octagonal chalice-shaped font on a square stone base; niche in splay of nearby SW window. Small Norman windows in N and S walls. Narrow pointed-arched entrance to stone stairs to former rood loft at NE; at foot are 2 small memorials, one late C18 to members of Robotham family of Cross Tregarreg and the other 1840 to Cecilia Waters of Duck Pool Farm; rectangular rood access opening above; another wall monument on NW nave wall to Rev William Edwards rector of Michaelstone (d1788). Plain wide pointed chancel arch. Chancel of 3 bays with arch-braced boarded roof with heavy dentilled wallplate: this and nave roof both C19. Late medieval niche with crocketed canopy in sanctuary; aumbry recess in N wall; E window has stained glass 1892 by Powell's; C17 ledger slabs in floor; early C19 memorial tablet to William Thomas of Coed y Gores. Tower contains 5 bells of 1766 hung with an additional bell in a new frame of 1994 but retaining the earlier frame adjacent.
Listed II* as a small medieval church retaining much of its historic fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings