This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4864 / 51°29'11"N
Longitude: -3.2685 / 3°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 312016
OS Northings: 177150
OS Grid: ST120771
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KNJH
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.9WDW
Entry Name: Lead Cistern in the east forecourt of St Fagans Castle
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13885
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: One of the associated structures in the gardens of St Fagans Castle and part of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The cistern bears the date 1620 and the arms of Sir Edward Lewis. It was probably brought from The Van, Caerphilly, the Lewis family seat, and re-sited here c1870. Sir Edward Lewis had himself bought St. Fagans Castle in 1616 and had laid out the formal gardens. It is not known exactly when the cistern was placed in position but it is not shown on the1855 plan and is known to have been in place in 1888.
Large circular lead cistern about 2m in diameter and 1.3m in height. The outer face of the cistern has a double row of panels nearly all of which have a framework of arcading and are decorated with a floriated pattern. It is one of the earliest circular cisterns of this type still surviving.
Included and highly graded as a rare and important early C17 lead cistern and as one of the structures associated with the gardens and estate of St. Fagans Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings