This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4821 / 51°28'55"N
Longitude: -3.2064 / 3°12'23"W
OS Eastings: 316319
OS Northings: 176598
OS Grid: ST163765
Mapcode National: GBR KBL.0N
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.C0QM
Entry Name: Milepost outside No.240
Listing Date: 13 January 1976
Last Amended: 8 November 2001
Source ID: 14078
Building Class: Transport
Location: The milepost is situated just to the west of the junction with Pen-y-peel Road.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Dated 1835. One of a series of mileposts on the A48 to the west of Cardiff, one of which, for Tythegston Parish, is an exhibit in the Museum of Welsh Life in St. Fagans Community (qv).
Ornately moulded cast-iron mile-post in Gothic style. Rectangular panels at the base, the lower one with date '1835' and the upper one with the words 'LANDAFF PARISH'. Behind and above this, a tall crowning tablet with curved head, inscribed 'CARDIFF DISTRICT'. Two pointed headed panels protrude from the lower part of this tablet, the left hand one inscribed 'TO CARDIFF 1', and the right hand one inscribed 'TO COWBRIDGE 11'. A segmental panel inscribed 'LONDON 159' below these and above rectangular panels at base.
Included for its special historic interest as one of a series of 1835 mileposts surviving on the Cardiff-Cowbridge turnpike.
Other nearby listed buildings