This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0549 / 52°3'17"N
Longitude: -4.6315 / 4°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 219676
OS Northings: 242876
OS Grid: SN196428
Mapcode National: GBR D0.DRW0
Mapcode Global: VH2MW.NMW3
Entry Name: Penuel Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14497
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at W end of the village, W of junction with road to Rhos-hill. The chapel was built 1861-2 by John Evans of Cilgerran for ú750; the vestry in 1908-9 by W L Michael of Newcastle Emlyn for ú33
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1862 Baptist Chapel in painted squared Cilgerran stone with slate roof. Gable front with open pedimental bracketed eaves, arched windows and door with recessed stone voussoirs, slate sills and small-paned glazing. Two long arched side windows, two narrow small centre lights with marginal glazing bars and centre double ledged doors with radiating-bar fanlight. Raised plinth. Rubble stone side walls with two long arched sashes each side and cut stone voussoirs.
Front railings on Cilgerran stone rusticated low wall with end piers and two slate piers to entry with double iron gates. Railings have urns on main stanchions and spearheads. Smaller gate in front of vestry.
Vestry: Added in 1908 in similar style, two long arched windows with keystones, arched centre door, and roundel above. Three-window sides.
Painted grained box pews with gallery raised on 2x3 plain iron columns (marked T Thomas, Cardigan). Gallery has curved corners, coved underside and panelled front, the panels with planted marginal mouldings rebated at corners. Clock marked 'Penuel 1863'. Balustraded great seat and pulpit with curved front. Arched recess behind pulpit. Ornate centre roundel to ceiling, otherwise plain. Entrance lobby has traceried window with dove descending in stained glass and some etched and coloured glass to the corners.
Simple, well-proportioned chapel in prominent position on main street.
The vestry is included for group value.
Other nearby listed buildings