Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4655 / 51°27'55"N
Longitude: -3.2865 / 3°17'11"W
OS Eastings: 310728
OS Northings: 174838
OS Grid: ST107748
Mapcode National: GBR HS.LXQQ
Mapcode Global: VH6FB.ZFFF
Entry Name: Gate and gatepiers beside South Lodge at Coedarhydyglyn
Location: The entrance to the main drive which leads through parkland to the house; just off the lane to Drope and St Georges, a short distance N of the A48, the turning about 1 km W of Culverhouse Cross.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: St. Georges-super-Ely
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Listing Date: 13 September 1994
Last Amended: 7 August 2002
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 14867
Probably contemporary with the main house built c1820. The architect is thought to be Edward Haycock the elder, architect of Shrewsbury, and the gates and gatepiers were probably also designed by him. [The adjacent lodge is later, dated 1880.]
Single wrought-iron gate with tall dog-bars and latticework above; inverted segmental arch to the top with scrolled spandrel ornament. Fluted cast-iron gate-piers with capital and ball caps; complex closing mechanism. Pedestrian gate to north side. More ornamental than the gate midway along the S drive.
Included as part of the original design for house, garden and park and for group value with other listed items at Coedarhydyglyn.
Other nearby listed buildings