This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0027 / 52°0'9"N
Longitude: -4.6389 / 4°38'19"W
OS Eastings: 218957
OS Northings: 237100
OS Grid: SN189371
Mapcode National: GBR D0.HXPW
Mapcode Global: VH2N2.JXZK
Entry Name: Blaenfos Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 25 January 1995
Last Amended: 25 January 1995
Source ID: 15382
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in centre of Blaenffos, between A 478 and lane to Crosswell.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1856 Baptist chapel, replacing chapels of 1765 and 1807. Similar in style to Ty Rhos Independent Chapel, Cilgerran, 1859.
1856 Baptist Chapel, unpainted roughcast with stucco details. Two-storey gable front with triangular recess in gable marked `Capel y Bedyddwyr Blaenffos', two first floor arched windows with small-paned glazing and two ground floor C20 windows imitating 16-pane sashes. Raised plinth and double doors in raised surround with cambered head, keystone and some fluting. Traceried overlight. Above door is plaque `Adeiladwyd y ty cyntaf yn y flwyddyn 1765, yn ail yn 1807 a'r Addoldy hwn yn 1856'. Two-storey, two window sides with 16-pane sashes below and arched sashes with radiating bar heads above, two long arched rear windows with plastic glazing.
Flat ceiling with possibly later C19 boarding, coved border. Three-sided gallery on 3x3 marbled wood columns with high bases. Painted grained gallery front with cornice broken forward over columns and panelling divided by piers. Grained square pews, side ones with doors. Rear vestibule with coloured-glass traceried centre window and two 5-panel doors. Pulpit with thick ball-finial newels and steps up to square pulpit with turned angle shafts and integral panelled seat. Early C20 organ behind by G. Osmond of Taunton.
Included for interior, still in the late Georgian tradition.
Other nearby listed buildings