This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8588 / 51°51'31"N
Longitude: -4.3315 / 4°19'53"W
OS Eastings: 239537
OS Northings: 220374
OS Grid: SN395203
Mapcode National: GBR DF.T270
Mapcode Global: VH3LG.VJYW
Entry Name: The Lodge at St David's Hospital
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 15885
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Situated on NW of junction with the main driveway into St David's Hospital.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Lodge to the Joint Counties Asylum built 1863-5 by David Brandon, mentioned as the ''New Lodge'' in 1865. Crosswing to N appears to have been added. Subdivided into 2 staff houses.
Lodge, heavily rock-faced grey-brown snecked rubble stone, (but added N crosswing in coursed rubble stone with quoins), painted freestone dressings, slate eaves roofs with bargeboards and finials, and stone chimneys with sloping caps. Mainly horned sash glazing. Italianate style, 2 storeys. S gable end to drive has deep eaves with bargeboards, 2-light window to first floor, and ground floor square bay window with hipped slate roof and triple arched window to front, single arched window each side. E elevation to road has ridge chimney (possibly on original N end), ground floor left 2-light window, centre gabled porch, and right 3-light window with eaves-breaking 2-light window above under gable with bargeboards. Porch has painted ashlar piers, imposts and round arch with keystone. Eaves carried on timber brackets. C20 half-glazed door. Added gabled crosswing to R in matching style has 2-light window to each floor. Blocked single light on S return wall.
Rear W has prominent stone chimney to right and broad single-storey block with hipped slate roof to left.
Included as a mid Victorian Italianate lodge of character, part of the historic group with the main asylum buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings