This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0558 / 52°3'20"N
Longitude: -3.9492 / 3°56'57"W
OS Eastings: 266448
OS Northings: 241502
OS Grid: SN664415
Mapcode National: GBR DY.DM1G
Mapcode Global: VH4H5.HLKD
Entry Name: Barn Range at cefn-Coed Mawr
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 16261
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Farm on W side of Cothi Valley situated off lane leading from Pumpsaint village to Allt Cwm-cyfiog, N of Dolaucothi Home Farm. Barn on E side of yard fronting farmhouse.
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Late C19 remodelling of earlier barn. Present farm layout indicated on 1830 Ordnance Survey. Owner in 1841, William Davys Harries: occupier, John Jones.
Whitewashed rubble high-door barn range on down-slope site. Slate roof, wooden soffits, slated barges. Central low barn-entry, brick cambered head, paired planked doors with chamfered central dividing post. Similar cart-doorway to left, blocked with inserted boarded door and 6-pane window. High barn door to right, head as above, paired planked doors (divided to left), chamfered vertical post. Massively battered base indicating earlier foundations. Right end partly rebuilt in brick. Left end with flight of stone steps to divided planked loft door, timber lintel. Small added concrete-block structure to right. Various C20 rear extensions.
Unusual arrangement of two threshing-floors on different levels (cobbles intact on upper floor). Opposing barn doors as front. Late C19 collarbeam roof, iron cramps. Loft over cart-house.
Late C19 barn with unusual plan. Together with the farmhouse and cowshed, Cefn-coed Mawr is a representative example of an unspoilt upland farmstead.
Other nearby listed buildings