This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0869 / 52°5'12"N
Longitude: -4.5434 / 4°32'36"W
OS Eastings: 225839
OS Northings: 246224
OS Grid: SN258462
Mapcode National: GBR D4.BPPD
Mapcode Global: VH2MR.6TG1
Entry Name: Noyadd Trefawr
Location: Situated some 400m N of Neuadd Cross, on E side of lane to Blaenannerch.
Locality: Neuadd cross
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Listing Date: 21 September 1964
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Building Class: Domestic
Source ID: 17967
C17 to early C19 house of the Parry family. Recorded from C16, when Dyddgy ap Rhys Dafydd Lloyd married Thomas Parry of St Dogmaels. Subsequent Parry owners to 1753, frequently High Sherriffs. A daughter Frances Gwyn died 1816 and left the estate to an English relation, W.H. Webley, later Rear-Admiral W.H. Webley-Parry, (d1837). He altered the house c1820-5. It was tenanted in later Cl9 during minority of Nina Webley-Parry(1868-1955). She married Sir Edward Pryse (Webley-Parry-Pryse) Bt, of Gogerddan, (d1918). The house appears to be of several phases. Window-spacing suggests two phases in main range, but floor beams and roof are continuous, possibly late C17. Earlier to mid C18 panelled rooms in N end. Earlier C19 porch, gables and SW rear wing.
Rubble stone, slate roofs, and three stone stacks with C19 moulded slate cornices. Two storeys and attic. Eight-window range, once 7-bay, three each side of door, with end stacks, but matching right end was added, probably 1825. 12-pane hornless sashes in corniced cement surrounds. The 3 bays to left of centre are wider-spaced than the 3 to right, indicating two periods of building. Added end bay is wide-spaced again. Five coped shouldered dormer gables, probably early C19, but possibly remodelling earlier work. 6-pane sashes with slate lintels. Dormers are not aligned with windows below, two to left, two-plus-one to right. Centre large, shouldered, coped gable, formerly with a very large paired apex chimneystack. 12-pane attic sash, windowless first floor behind steep roof of Cilgerran stone earlier C19 porch. Coped and shouldered with shield plaque and Tudor-arched entry. Pointed lights in side walls. Half-glazed door in plain timber architrave within. Rear: two gabled rear wings with end stacks and hipped stair block between. NW rear wing apparently earliest, followed by stair block, then SW wing, but both wings have early C19 cut-stone voussoirs. 18-pane centre stair-light. Kitchen parallel to NW wing, single storey with very tall black brick W stack, and roof carried as lean to along main house N gable.
A complex interior: roof has massive encased collar trusses to front range and NW wing. An exposed fragment shows finely chamfered oak, possibly C17. Heavy plastered main beams to both floors. NE front room is fielded-panelled with two arched N end niches, moulded dado rail, and fielded panelled shutters, mid C18. SE room has early C19 detail, applied over earlier beams. Behind is oak floored passage. Stair behind is a mixture, open-well, pine broad treads, bobbin-turned balusters and thin ramped rail, suggesting re-use of older bits in earlier C19. Early C19 plaster cornice. First floor passage oak floored, and there is mid C18 panelling in a NE room with dentil cornice.
Listed as an important gentry house, one of the few in Cardiganshire with extensive evidence of C17 work.
Other nearby listed buildings