This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8139 / 51°48'49"N
Longitude: -4.1265 / 4°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 253506
OS Northings: 214941
OS Grid: SN535149
Mapcode National: GBR DP.WYY6
Mapcode Global: VH4J7.FN9V
Entry Name: Limekiln at the south-east of Castle Quarry
Listing Date: 5 February 1999
Last Amended: 5 February 1999
Source ID: 21300
Building Class: Industrial
Location: 2km north of Drefach village and 500m SE of Maes-y-mwnwns farm. Castle Quarry is to the south side of a minor road east from the B4310. This kiln stands at the south-east edge of the quarried area.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A C19 kiln. Quarrying here is believed to have started in c.1600. In 1847 the 'limerock' is recorded as the property of E H Adams, the tenant being Hannah Jones. It was probably then being quarried in association with Maes-y-mwnwns farm, as it was more recently, and is said to have operated as a quarry until about 1940. This kiln is marked, apparently as disused, on the 1905 map.
A kiln sited remotely from the road, constructed in irregularly coursed limestone; about 10m diameter and about 5m in height. It is built out from higher ground. Two access archways nearly opposite to each other. The archways have neat segmental vaults of about 2.5m span in rubble stonework. Low working-openings to the bowl of the kiln. Stonework around the west-facing access archway is deteriorating, and some has been lost, including the face ring of the arch.
Listed as one of a set of surviving kilns in one quarry location, suggesting a typological series, and representative of an industry of local importance.
Other nearby listed buildings