History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ty Cefn

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbadrig, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4119 / 53°24'42"N

Longitude: -4.4525 / 4°27'9"W

OS Eastings: 237088

OS Northings: 393365

OS Grid: SH370933

Mapcode National: GBR HMCP.C71

Mapcode Global: WH41Z.KHZQ

Entry Name: Ty Cefn

Listing Date: 26 October 2000

Last Amended: 26 October 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24339

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set at right angles to the NE side of Glascoed Road which leads of the High Street in Cemaes Bay, the cottage is to the rear of the Pioneer Stores and at the right hand side of the approach to the mai

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Llanbadrig

Locality: Cemaes Bay

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Cemaes Bay

History

Early C19 cottage. The Tithe Map of Llanbadrig, 1844, shows a number of rectangular buildings along what is now Cemaes Bay High Street, and also a building set back from the road on what looks to be the site of the cottage. Cefn is not mentioned by name in the tithe schedule, but 'Ty Cefn' is listed in the census returns for the parish, 1841; being the home of Edward Owen, agricultural labourer, and his wife Elizabeth.

Exterior

Early C19 lofted 2-unit plan cottage with single storey lean-to added to R (NE) end. Built of local rubble masonry, front and end wall pebbledash rendered; roof of old small slates, low raking dormers to front rising from the eaves. Rendered rectangular gable stacks with dripstones and capping. Lean-to with corrugated iron roof. The entrance elevation faces SE, opening onto a small enclosed yard; a 2-window range with doorway between. Ground floor windows are 4-pane sashes, with hornless sashes to the dormers. Single casement light in the R (NE) return, and blocked doorway to rear. Lean-to with boarded door.

Interior

Not inspected at time of resurvey.

Reasons for Listing

Listed, notwithstanding condition, as a good early C19 cottage which retains its simple vernacular character, including the use of small roofing slates, and sash windows, and which is a rare survivor of the earlier settlement at Cemaes.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Cemaes Mill
    Set back from the W side of Ffordd y Felin; which leads SW towards Llanfechell off the A5025 roundab
  • II* Church of St Padrig
    In an isolated coastal location NW of the village of Cemaes Bay. The church is reached by a country

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.