This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7934 / 51°47'36"N
Longitude: -2.7471 / 2°44'49"W
OS Eastings: 348568
OS Northings: 210795
OS Grid: SO485107
Mapcode National: GBR FJ.YC5J
Mapcode Global: VH870.B5KZ
Entry Name: Church of St Wonnow
Listing Date: 27 November 1953
Last Amended: 27 September 2001
Source ID: 24452
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: About 2.5km SW of Monmouth, close to Wonastow Court on the S side of the minor road between Monmouth and Dingestow. Screened from the road by trees, but a conspicuous and attractive feature of the vi
Community: Mitchel Troy
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
"The church has always gone with the manor, and the advowson and impropriation have descended with the manor." (Bradney) Medieval in origin, but largely restored and rebuilt 1863-5, in memory of Sir William 8th Baronet of Chevet and Dame Mary Milborne Swinnerton-Pilkington his wife. N porch added 1909, by Arthur Grove.
A small but attractive church with a sturdy "dovecote-belfry" tower, a short nave, N porch and small chancel.
It is built of sandstone rubble brought to courses, with stone slate roofs. The tower, square on plan and of 3 internal stages plus a low wooden belfry stage, unbuttressed and sheer-walled, has a restored 2-centred-arched W window with flowing tracery and a hoodmould; a small carved niche above this; a small quatrefoil to the 3rd stage; and a squat stud-framed belfry with 5 wooden-louvred lights in each side, and a pyramidal roof. Its N and S sides each have a 1-light trefoil-headed window to the 1st stage, a small square-headed lancet to the 2nd and a small trefoil to to the 3rd. The nave, which clasps the E corners of the tower, has one square-headed window of cusped ogee-headed lights on the N side and 2 on the S side.
At the W end of the N side is a prominent gabled porch in Arts-and-Crafts Gothic style. This has a swept roof, a heftily double-chamfered 2-centred arched outer doorway, its springers "carved in low relief with a thrilling Annunciation" (Pevsner & Newman), a carved Virgin and Child in the apex of the gable, and simple wooden-bar gates with ramped top rails. Each side wall has a simple arched 2-light window. Inside, the wallplates have raised commemorative lettering including the date 1909, and the
inner doorway, which has a single broad chamfer, is furnished with a darkened softwood door in Perpendicular style, with vertical panels which have Arts-and-Crafts carving to the heads.
The chancel has a square-headed E window of 3 ogee-headed cusped lights, one 2-light window in similar style in each side wall, and a Tudor-arched priest doorway in the N side.
In the nave, lightweight hammerbeam roof trusses, simple C19 benches, and a hatchment of George Milborne Esq. The chancel arch is 2-centred, with 2 orders of wave moulding, and contains a delicately-designed rood screen (with rood) in Perpendicular style, made in 1913 by G.E.Halliday, who also designed the chancel reredos, which is wooden and full-width, in Perpendicular style with pinnacles (etc). On the S side of the chancel is a very large standing wall monument to George Milborne
(d.1637): in Renaissance style, with a large strap-work apron, a deep plinth containing kneeling figures in relief (4 sons to the left, 7 daughters to the right), and free-standing Corinthian columns and a dentilled entablature framing a large panel presumably intended for a recumbent effigy but now only with some strap-work decoration at the top. Stained glass: two S windows of the nave, Adoration of the Shepherds, 1893 by Kempe; E window of the Virgin and Child, 1903, by Comper.
Included as a church of medieval origin, having important historical associations with Wonastow Court; with a fine Arts-and-Crafts porch, and an important Renaissance monument.
Other nearby listed buildings