Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4793 / 51°28'45"N
Longitude: -3.2504 / 3°15'1"W
OS Eastings: 313262
OS Northings: 176339
OS Grid: ST132763
Mapcode National: GBR K0M.5N
Mapcode Global: VH6FC.M20R
Entry Name: Church of the Resurrection
Location: In the centre of Grand Avenue on the corner with Ty Coch Road.
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Listing Date: 9 October 2001
Last Amended: 17 June 2002
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Source ID: 25795
Foundation stone laid on 24 January 1934. Architect Thomas Roderick of Aberdare. The church is based on the Byzantine style of the church of the Community of the Resurrection, Mirfield (West Yorkshire), by Walter Tapper, itself based on Ravenna originals. The church is externally unaltered; internally only some of the fittings have been changed (in the 1960s).
The Church is built in red-brown brick; tiled roofs. Neo-Byzantine style. Nave, aisles, transepts, low octagonal tower, polygonal east and west ends. Octagonal tower with two windows to each face. Four bay nave with paired windows in each bay; aisles with doors in west ends, lean-to roofs to aisles. Polygonal east end with window to each facet. At west end, window of five narrow lights above polygonal bay with three windows facing west; entrance door with recessed orders to each aisle end. Gabled transepts with large round windows; lower blocks on south side, link to church hall to north.
Rendered and painted throughout. Spacious interior on a Latin cross plan; aisled nave with low aisles, short transepts, dome over the crossing, apsed chancel. Western narthex with three semicircular arches, smaller flanking larger, plain 5-light window above. Four bay nave with paired arch headed clerestorey lights, single lights to the aisles. Square piers with pilasters rising to carry the tunnel vaulted roofs; semicircular arcade. Transepts lit by circular windows. Hemispherical dome carried on squinches; this is lit by sixteen small windows. Chancel lit by paired clerestorey lights on either side. Apse lit by five arched lights with coloured glass, Annunciation, Crucifixion, Resurrection, Ascension, Pentecost, by Francis Spear (1947). These are above the altar with tester over. Perpendicular style pulpit with tester. Some original light fittings in the transepts, the rest of the decorative metalwork dates from the 1960s.
Included as a well-designed 1930s church, a rare example of a revival of an unusual historical style that retains its character.
Other nearby listed buildings