This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6089 / 51°36'31"N
Longitude: -2.9517 / 2°57'6"W
OS Eastings: 334193
OS Northings: 190434
OS Grid: ST341904
Mapcode National: GBR J7.9XZ4
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.STFH
Entry Name: Garden Wall of The Priest's House
Listing Date: 18 January 2002
Last Amended: 18 January 2002
Source ID: 26111
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Behind The Priest's House, fronting Castle Street.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
This wall is a part of the wall constructed round The Mynde (now No 14 High Street) in 1839. The owner of the house and of Ponthir Plate Works, John Jenkins, was frightened by the possibility of violence and destruction of property by the Chartist Movement and built the wall right round his property to protect it. It is now in six different ownerships, but continues to be visually very important to Caerleon. Its fortress like appearance pays respect to the Castle Mound a large Norman motte within the enclosure.
Squared local red sandstone and conglomerate rubble wall about 4m in height and about 25m long topped by castellations now hidden by creeper. Pointed arch doorway with dressed rubble voussoirs. This section must originally have been a part of The Mynde wall, for it abuts it directly and is of a similar character and date. Interior face not seen.
Included as a fine wall built in 1839 with historic associations and group value with the surrounding buildings in the centre of Caerleon.
Other nearby listed buildings