Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2077 / 53°12'27"N
Longitude: -3.3326 / 3°19'57"W
OS Eastings: 311096
OS Northings: 368681
OS Grid: SJ110686
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.1T4P
Mapcode Global: WH76W.SM7R
Entry Name: Castell Bach
Location: Reached by an unclassified narrow lane 1 km north-east from Dre-goch Ganol on the B5429.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Listing Date: 20 May 2002
Last Amended: 20 May 2002
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Source ID: 26644
A house with chimney backing onto the original entry, a type ('outside cross passage') common in the C17, especially when originally built in storeyed form, as appears here.
The house was described c.1970 as having a timber-framed partition forming the other side of the cross passage incorporating two doors with four-centred heads; the downhill unit was therefore divided longitudinally. The uphill unit is also divided longitudinally, and now comprises bathroom and kitchen. Smith (1988) notes Castell Bach as an early North Wales instance of a plan-type later very common in South Wales. (For the early presence of this type in Denbighshire, compare Bryngwylan, Llanfair Talhaearn, dated 1589.)
Castell bach is now two dwellings, one comprising the middle and east units of the original house, the other comprising the west unit and a later wing extending north. The latter dwelling also includes as a detached part the old shippon to the east and its later north porch.
A two-storey house of three units plus later additions, sited downslope, in local uncoursed limestone masonry with slate roof. Large stone chimney stack between lower and middle units. A single storey modern lean-to at the south side covers the position of one doorway to the cross passage; the other doorway is within a later north wing of outbuildings now occupied as a second house. Against the east (uphill) gable wall is a later unit also in uncoursed stone and with slate roof, described as a former shippon, not communicating with the main part of the house; this has a modern porch on its north side. Glazed porch also to doorway of the central unit on the south side.
The elevations to north and south excluding the additional unit at east are of three windows, corresponding to the three units; modern windows in small openings; the present main doorway is a secondary insertion. Modern windows and dormer in the additional unit at east.
The central unit (the hall) is now entered directly from the south side by a main doorway protected by a small lightly constructed porch; vertical boarded door with four-pane overlight. The hall retains its large chimney, chamfered main beam and flat-laid chamfered joists. Similar joists visible in the kitchen (but others apparently boxed in behind a modern ceiling in the bathroom). Upstairs, in the wall between the central and east units, a large strongly cambered tie beam is apparent (behind wallpaper).
The present stairs position is within the hall against the north side; a previous stairs position is indicated within the kitchen against the south side.
A small farmhouse of c.1600 retaining vernacular features of considerable interest.
Other nearby listed buildings