Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7106 / 51°42'38"N
Longitude: -3.1454 / 3°8'43"W
OS Eastings: 320955
OS Northings: 201936
OS Grid: SO209019
Mapcode National: GBR HZ.3HHM
Mapcode Global: VH6D8.F8HJ
Entry Name: Aberbeeg 'Packhorse' Bridge
Location: About 100m to E of main A467 roundabout at Aberbeeg and crossing the Ebbw River below B4471 at the junction with Commercial Road where it passes under a disused railway bridge.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Listing Date: 11 July 2005
Last Amended: 11 July 2005
Building Class: Transport
Source ID: 84800
The earliest known record of the bridge is found in a survey of the boundaries and customs of the manor of Wentsland and Bryngwyn (of which the parish of Llanhilleth formed a part) dated 1659. At that time it was known as "Pont y Cymmer" though, by 1775, it was known as Llanhilleth Bridge when there is a record of it being repaired. It is shown on the 1843 tithe map for the parish.
Single-span, stone-built bridge about 10.5m long and 2.2m wide. The arch has dressed voussoirs, some horizontal pinnings and a low blocking course in yellow brick with a modern concrete surface and two steps on W approach. Modern metal handrails and fencing; a large metal pipe has been added through the base of the ancient structure.
Included, notwithstanding modern alterations, for its special interest as the only C17 stone arched bridge to survive in the area.
Other nearby listed buildings