This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8194 / 51°49'9"N
Longitude: -3.0175 / 3°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 329965
OS Northings: 213912
OS Grid: SO299139
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WJ5D
Mapcode Global: VH796.NJ4L
Entry Name: Abergavenny Museum
Listing Date: 7 May 1952
Last Amended: 10 November 2005
Source ID: 86811
Building Class: Education
Location: Part of a group at Abergavenny Castle, it crowns the top of the motte.
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Early C19 shooting-box built on the castle motte by the Marquess of Abergavennny in the years 1818-9. It was known as The Court House at this time. There is no indication of any incorporated ancient fabric apart from at the very northern end of the lower service wing, and the top of the motte seems to have been much reconstructed during the works. The detailed plan of the castle in Coxe (1801) shows no fabric on the motte. It was used by several families until the Castle was taken over by The Abergavenny Improvement Commissioners in 1881 and the grounds became a public garden. The house name was changed to Castle House and it was used for refreshment services within the place of resort. It is now run as Abergavenny Museum which was opened by the Abergavenny Local History Society in 1959 and was taken over by Monmouthshire County Council in 1971.
Built of random red sandstone rubble with Forest of Dean stone bands, roof not visible behind parapet; Welsh slate on wing. Tall rectangular keep style block, with lower gabled service wing attached to north-west narrow side. Two tall storeys, with band above each storey, 3 x 1 windows with circular corner turrets. Entrance on narrow side, projecting porch with chamfered corners and 4-centred arch entrance, small windows on returns; 2-light window above. Long walls have three such windows on each floor, short rear wall has one on the first floor only, service wing joined below. All external joinery is late C20. Castellated parapets, turrets with suggested battlements only.
Service wing also two storeys, but set lower. 3 x 1 bays with octagonal corner turrets. Mullion-and-transom windows below, casements above, Gothic windows in gable end. Some medieval fabric is incorporated in the northern gable. Plain roof of moderate pitch.
The castle now contains the town museum which incorporates parts of several rooms from demolished houses in Tudor Street and from other house in the neighbourhood. The building itself has had major internal reconstruction and has little historic fabric showing since the lower and ground floors are in museum display use and the upper floor is modern offices.
Included for its special interest as part of the group of historic buildings at Abergavenny Castle and as a fine local landmark when seen across the Usk valley.
Other nearby listed buildings