If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Yeatson House Including Garden Area Wall to South and West
Date Listed: 9 February 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 100942
OS Grid Reference: SX8086656343
OS Grid Coordinates: 280867, 56343
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3949, -3.6774
Explore more of the area around Ashprington, Devon at Explore Britain.
6/33 Yeatson House Including
Garden Area Wall to
9.2.61 South and West
House, formerly a farmhouse. Circa late C18, remodelled and extended in circa
1830. Stuccoed stone rubble. Asbestos slate hipped roof with wooden
modillion cornice; gable-ended wing at rear. Scantle slate roof with gable
ends over rear service wing which has exposed stone rubble walls. Rendered
and painted brick stacks over side walls and at gable end of rear wing.
Plan: L-shaped on plan. Symmetrical front range has a drawing room to the
right and dining room to the left; at the centre a porch leads to a wide but
shallow stair hall at the front with a small room behind. In the wing behind
the left hand room there is the servant's hall/kitchen from which rise the
back stairs. Another wing probably added in 1830 is built across the end of
the rear wing and contains a back kitchen or dairy with stairs to a loft
above. The ground level is lower to the right where there is a doorway to a
cellar under the right hand end of the main range.
The circa 1830 alterations include the remodelling of the interior of the
ground floor, the addition of the front and side porches and the addition of
the back kitchen wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Symmetrical 3-bay east front with a
modillion cornice and rusticated quoins. Early C19 tripartite sashes with
glazing bars, the ground floor 12 panes flashed by 4-pane lights, the first
floor 9 panes flashed by 3-pane lights; all with granite sills. Central
doorway with rusticated stucco enclosed porch with heavy cornice, central C19
glazed double doors flanked by double recessed round-headed windows. The
inner doorway has a Cl9 6-panel door. 2 small hipped roof dormers with small-
Right hand end has segmented headed casement with glazing bars and cellar door
The left hand side has porch to side doorway with moulded cornice and C19
casement windows with small panes.
The rear wing built across the back wing of the main house has casement
windows with glazing bars and a flight of steps up to the kitchen garden
(walls (qv)) at higher ground level at the back; the stairs form a porch with
a round-arch doorway to the back kitchen. In the gable end of the rear wing
there is a slate sundial with a shaped head inscribed 'T.E. 1830'; probably
Including the front and lefthand side garden area wall; early C19 stone rubble
with simple slate capping. The wall acts as a retaining wall at the front
where the trade is at a lower level than the garden. There are gate-piers on
the left hand side of the front with a mounting block to the side.
Interior: The internal joinery is entirely intact except for the 2 ground
floor front room chimneypieces which are C20. The house is complete with 6-
panel doors and internal window shutters. The 2 principal front rooms have
deeply moulded plaster ceiling cornices of circa 1830. The small stairhall
has a similar cornice and a fine open well staircase with stick balusters,
moulded mahogany handrail ramped up to a column newel on the landing and
wreathed with a bone inlay over the curtail; the open string has scroll tread
The kitchen/servant's hall has panelled cupboards and back stairs. The back
kitchen or dairy has a segmented arched fireplace with flues either side which
may be for cream scolding and curing hams; and there is a stone staircase to
the chamber above.
First floor right hand room has an original late C18 chimneypiece with a
dentilled cornice and moulded architrave, the grate missing. The left hand
room has another original chimneypiece, its cornice missing. The stairs from
the first floor to the attic have stick balusters.
Note: The initials T.E. on the sundial probably refer to Thomas Edmonds.
Kellys Directory of 1856 lists Thomas Hunt Edmonds of Fore Street, Totnes, as
a solicitor. It may have been this Thomas Edmonds or possibly his father who
made the improvements to Yeatson House. The nearby farmhouse, Lower Yeatson
(gv) has a plaster panel inside inscribed "Thomas Edmonds 1833". He
presumably built Lower Yeatson when upgrading Yeatson House for his own use.
Listing NGR: SX8086656343
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.