If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Tuckenhay House Including Terrace Balustrade Immediately South East
Date Listed: 9 February 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 100964
OS Grid Reference: SX8186756167
OS Grid Coordinates: 281867, 56167
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3935, -3.6633
Explore more of the area around Ashprington, Devon at Explore Britain.
6/55 Tuckenhay House
9.2.61 Balustrade Immediately
House. Dated 1799, remodelled and extended in circa 1840. Rendered stone
rubble. Asbestos slate hopped roof behind parapet. Right-hand wing has
natural slate roof with pedimented gable end. Stacks over side walls with
paved octagonal shafts an yellow day pots.
Plan: Double depth rectangular plan. 2 principal rooms at the front, the
drawing room to the left and a slightly smaller dining room to the right, with
an entrance hall between leading to a stairwell at the back. The kitchen is
at the back to the right and other service rooms and back stair are at the
rear to the left.
In circa 1840 the front of the house was refashioned and a wing of single
storey and basement was added to the right hand side. The wing contains a
large billiard room over a coach house in the basement which has access at the
right hand end where the ground level is lower. The wing at the rear left,
which apparently contains the wash house with a loft above, was probably also
built in circa 1840.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with a moulded cornice,
blocking course with a lion couchant at the centre and rusticated quoins.
Circa late C18 tripartite sashes, ground floor 5:15:5 panes, first floor
4:12:4 panes, all with C19 cornices above on console brackets. Central
doorway has wooden Tuscan porch with columns and pilasters supporting an
entablature, panelled reveals and a panelled door with a rectangular overlight
with ornate tracery; the soffit of the canopy is panelled and the porch has
a rusticated surround.
The left had side has a circa late C18 or early C19 glazed garden door and
side door in the service wing at the rear; the fenestration on the left hand
elevation is asymmetrical.
To the right of the house is the circa 1840 wing of single storey over a coach
house; 3 large symmetrically disposed blind windows at the front with cornices
on console brackets; the eaves is also supported on console brackets. The
ground falls away sharply at this end and there is a deep plinth with a
moulding over. The right hand return of this wing has a pedimented gable and
a large C19 tripartite sash, 6:12:6 panes with a cornice on console brackets
above. Below this window at the lower ground level is a segmentally arched
coach-house doorway with plank double doors.
The back of the main block has various later sashes and casements, the stair
window replaced and and early C19 or late C18 panelled back door at the centre
with a later canopy; one of the jamb quions is dated 1799.
The service wing at the back has external steps to a loft doorway and a
passageway through to the garden at the side of the house.
Immediately in front of the house there is a terrace with a mid C19 rendered
balustrade with vases over the piers flanking the steps at the centre.
Interior: The interior is largely complete and its joinery intact including
doors etc. The front left hand room has a reeded plaster cornice and a C20
chimneypiece; the front right hand room does not have a moulded cornice and
the chimneypiece is a glazed tile 1930s one; both rooms have panelled window
shutters. The Billiard room has a coved ceiling with a cornice and roof light
and a large 1930s chimneypiece.
At the back of the entrance hall an elliptical arch on decorative brackets,
leads to a small open well staircase with stick balusters and a moulded
mahogany handrail ramped up to the newels and wreathed over a column newel at
the curtail; it has an open string with scrolled tread ends.
On the first floor a large bathroom fitted out in the 1930s with large celadon
green glass tiles with black bards at the top of the wall and a semi-circular
mirror over the bath engraved with a sailing ship on a wavy sea. The bathroom
is complete with its original fittings including a green bath and hand-basin.
Tuckenhay House is said to have been the manager's house of Tuckenhay Paper
Listing NGR: SX8186756167
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.