If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Barnabas
Date Listed: 26 April 1993
English Heritage Building ID: 101072
OS Grid Reference: SX7594860643
OS Grid Coordinates: 275948, 60643
Latitude/Longitude: 50.4325, -3.7480
Explore more of the area around Dartington, Devon at Explore Britain.
SX76SE Church of St Barnabas
Chapel of ease for Dartington. 1885. The architect is not known although
J L Pearson designed Dartington parish church in 1878-80. Snecked ashlar
pink grey Devonian limestone with bathstone dressings; the interior is
faced in bathstone ashlar but with polished Devonian limestone arcade
piers. Steep Welsh slate roof with Bathstone coping and bracketed kneelers
to the gable ends which have crosses at the gabled apexes; and with crested
Plan: Nave; the chancel is divided into a choir and sanctuary; south aisle
with the tower and spire over its east end and a porch on the west end of
the south side of the aisle; north porch on the north side of the west end
of the nave; and an organ chamber on the north side of the choir. Early
English style freely applied.
Exterior: Nave with 2 paired lancets on the north side with large buttress
with set-offs between. Gabled north porch has high pointed arch with
detached shafts, the arch has alternatively limestone and Bathstone
voussoirs. The west end of the nave has 2 tall lancets with a large
buttress with set-offs between and an elongated quatrefoil light above.
The chancel comprising a choir and sanctuary, the sanctuary is clearly
defined by a lower level roof with more decorative crested ridge tiles;
narrow north and south lancets with unusual stops to the hoodmoulds; on the
south side the priest's doorway projecting in a steep gabled buttress-like
aedicule with a trefoil head doorway with nail-head decoration to the
hoodmould. The east window is formed from 5 stepped lancets under one
Organ chamber on the north side of the choir has a 2-light lanced in the
gable end with an integral stack to the right with a yellow brick shaft.
To the right of the organ chamber a wide niche with a double - chamfered 2-
The south aisle had a 2-light plate traceried west window and an integral
tower over the east end.
The tower over the east end of the south aisle has a lancet in the tall
lower stage and 2-light bell-openings in the bell-stage with colonnettes
and quatrefoil plate tracery; the tower is surmounted by a slender stone
broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and small brackets, like crockets, to
the cornice. The large projecting stair turret on the south east corner of
the tower has a square-plan lower stage with lancets near the corners and
is octagonal above with an off-set on the south side.
The weathercock may be later.
The gabled south porch, is similar to the north porch but has a 2 orders of
dog-tooth decoration in the arch.
Interior: is very fine and entirely intact. The nave has a 3-bay south
arcade with fairly squat pediment Devonian limestone piers, quatre-foil on
plan with a sort of waterholding moulding and with moulded capitals with
dog tooth and nailhead decoration; and with high-pointed double-chamfered
arches, the outer moulding is a broad ovolo which is carried down into the
responds at the east and west ends where the inner arch is supported on
large corbels with stiff leaf carved capitals.
The choir and sanctuary arches are similar but the respond corbels are
Devonian limestone colonnettes also with staff lead capitals with a corbel
below; the sanctuary arch has clustered colonnettes on corbel heads. The
east window lancets have nook-shafts with moulded capitals and roll moulded
arches. All the windows are deeply splayed with chamfered 2-centred rear
The tower arch at the west end of the south aisle has a high pointed double
roll moulding carried on respond shafts with moulded capitals and corbelled
bases, the north corbel is integral with the capital of the arcade pier.
narrow high pointed arch doorway to the tower stairs in the splayed south
east corner of the tower.
The organ chamber is open to the choir, but has a cusped doorway through
the sanctuary arch pier. From this pier across the organ chamber is a
diagonal stone 2-centred arch, and in the corner of the organ chamber a
small stone fireplace. Opposite the organ chamber doorway, the priest's
door through the north pier of the sanctuary arch. The sedilia and piscina
are cut into the sills of the south wall of the sanctuary. The choir
stalls are set onto stone benches on either side of the choir. continuous
around all the sides of the nave and south aisle are similar stone benches
where at the east end of the north side of the nave a stone pulpit is
incorporated pierced with trefoil arches and on limestone shafts. between
the choir and nave a low vestigial stone screen. The altar stone is
polished limestone with 5 consecration crosses. The altar rail has wrought
iron stanchions. The choir stalls which appear to be later also have
wrought iron stanchions. The organ which may be original has decoratively
painted pipes facing the choir and smaller pipes in a triangular-headed 2-
light opening facing the nave.
The font of polished Devonian limestone is octagonal on a squat stem with
shafts. The very simple but well designed portable benches are probably
original. The elaborate wooden eagle lectern is probably later. The choir
and sanctuary have moulded common rafter roofs; the nave and south aisle
have scissor braced roof trusses with ovolo mouldings. The roofs are
The north and south doors are the original and have cross-shaped strap
hinges and locks and latches in wrought iron. The priest's door is C20
Stained glass: East window probably circa 1885-6 by Hardpan. North aisle
memorial window dated 1880 and west window in north aisle dated 1873 by
Clayton and Bell Memorial window of west end of nave dated 1915 and stained
glass in quatrefoil above. The other windows have plate glass without
Whites Directory of 1850 states "A small church as chapel of ease is about
to be erected at Tigley Cross for the accommodation of that neighbourhood"
and in White's Directory of 1890 it is stated the church was consecrated in
1855, apparently unaware that the church had been entirely rebuilt on an
ambitious scale in 1885
Sources: White's Directories of 1850 and 1890
Cresswell, B F Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of Totnes, 1904
revised 1922, Page III.
Listing NGR: SX7594860643
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.