British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Fingal's Hotel and Restaurant Old Coombe Old Coombe (Fingal's Hotel and Restaurant) Including Back, Dittisham

Description: Fingal's Hotel and Restaurant Old Coombe Old Coombe (Fingal's Hotel and Restaurant) Including Back

Grade: II
Date Listed: 26 April 1993
English Heritage Building ID: 101173

OS Grid Reference: SX8449754859
OS Grid Coordinates: 284497, 54859
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3823, -3.6259

Location: Cornworthy, Devon TQ6 0JA

Locality: Dittisham
Local Authority: South Hams District Council
County: Devon
Country: England
Postcode: TQ6 0JA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Dittisham, Devon at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for

DITTISHAM -
SX 85 SW
10/261 Old Coombe (Fingal's Hotel and
Restaurant) including back yard wall

GV II

The description shall be amended to read

SX 85 SW DITTISHAM Old Coombe (Fingal's Hotel and
Restaurant) including back yard wall

GV II

Farmhouse, now an hotel and restaurant. Probably early C17 (or of-earlier origin) remodelled
and extended in criteria 1700, minor alterations of early to mid C19. Whitewashed slate rubble.
Slate roofs, gable-ended to the right and hipped to the left gabled-ended rear wings right and
ipped rear extensions to the left; red clay ridge tiles. Large rendered gabled end stack to right
of main range and to rear wing, and later rendered axial stack to left of centre of main range.

Plan The original circa early C17 house is the front range and the centre rear wing; the front
range has a 3 room and through or cross-passage plan, the lower room to the right is heated
from a gable end stack, the former hall has a rear lateral stack (now redundant) and the wine
room/parlour to the left appears to have been unheated originally and possibly a late addition;
the wing behind the hall is also early C17 and has a large gable end fireplace with an oven, its
lintel is moulded therefore it may not have been a service wing. In circa 1700 the house was
remodelled and extended, the through passage became the entrance hall leading to a stair tower
added at the back in the right hand angle of the rear wing; the stair tower has a small integral
room to its right. Probably at the same time in circa 1700 an unheated service room (present
kitchen) wa built at the end of the rear wing and 2 rooms wereaddd behind the wine
room/parlour in the left hand angle of the rear wing.

Exterior 2 storeys. Long, not quite symmetrical 7 window front of closely-spaced 12 -pane
sashes, 4 of the first floor sashes are early C18 with thick glazing bars and the others have been
replaced in the early C19, but all in exposed cases. The doorway, to the right of centre has an
C18 doorcase with fluted pilasters and frieze paaterae and cornice, fielded panel reveals and
contemporary fielded 8-panel door.
the left hand( south west) elevation is under 3 hipped roofs and has C18/19 2-light 12-pane
sashed to the right and left, the ground floor left replaced by C20 garden doors and at the
centre a C20 fire escape to a first floor doorway.

Rear The gable-ended stair tower to the left has a large circa 1700 24-pane stair sash with
thick glazing bars and circa 1700 cross mullion-transom window on the left hand side. The
outer north east side of the rear wing has an early C18 2-light sash on the ground and first floor
to the left with thick glazing bars, the ground floor has 12-pane sashes, the first floor has 18-
pane sashes, C19 3-light casement to the right and an early C18 fielded 6-panel door between
with a thatched canopy.
Including back yard wall; circa C18 or early C19, slate rubble with slate capping, curved on
plan in the angle with the rear wing and stair tower,enclosing a small back yard. The wall
incorporates a small mounting block, and has recently (1993) been partly removed to make way
for an exterior fire stairway.

Interior: The entrance passage has fielded dado panelling and a moulded round arch to the stair
well at the back with a good circa 1700 open-well, open string staircase, 2 turned balusters per
tread and a moulded handrail ramped up to Tuscan column newels, the handrail is wreathed
over the curtail; the staircase has fielded panels land what remains of the cornice is mounded.
The former hall (central room in front range) has a C19 moulded plaster cornice, fielded panel
door and shutters. The parlour to the left (south west) end has fielded panel window shutters
fielded panelling, dentilled cornice and a moulded wooden chimneypiece with a late C19 iron
grate in the corner. The main room in the rear wing has a large fireplace a ovolo moulded
timber lintel with bar stops dressed slate jambs and a brick lined oven. The room behind the
rear wing is now the kitchen and has closely-spaced light scantling cross-beams. The first floor
bed chamber to rear right (north west) has a deep coved cornice and a simple C18
chimneypiece with a moulded cornice and a late C19 cast iron grate.

Roof The roof over the main front range has straight principals with notch lap jointed
cambered collars, threaded purlins and threaded diagonal ridgepiece, only some of the purlins
and rafters survive. The roof over the original rear wing has straight principals with halved and
lapped collars; the roof over the extension to the rear wing has been largely replaced.

------------------------------------

DITTISHAM
SX85SW
10/261 Old Coombe (Fingal's
hotel and restaurant)
including back yard wall

GV II

Farmhouse, now an hotel and restaurant. Probably early C17 (or of earlier
origin) remodelled and extended in circa 1700, minor alterations of early
to mid C19. Whitewashed slate rubble plastered at front and on the left
(north west) side. Slate roofs, gable-ended to the right and hipped to the
left gable-ended rear wings right and hipped rear extensions to the left;
the inner slopes of the roofs has scantle slates; red clay ridge tiles.
Large rendered gable end stack to right of main range and to rear wing, and
later rendered axial stack to left of centre of the main range.
Plan: The original circa early C17 house is the front range and the centre
rear wing; the front range has a 3-room and through or cross-passage plan,
the lower room to the right is heated from a gable end stack, the former
hall has a rear lateral stack (now redundant) and the wine room/parlour to
the left appears to have been unheated originally and possibly a late
addition; the wing behind the hall is also early C17 and has a large gable
end fireplace with an oven, its lintel is moulded therefore it may not have
been a service wing. In circa 1700 the house was remodelled and extended,
the through passage became the entrance hall leading to a stair tower added
at the back in the right hand angle of the rear wing; the stair tower has a
small integral room to its right. Probably at the same time in circa 1700
an unheated service room (present kitchen) was built at the end of the rear
wing and 2 rooms were added behind the wine room/parlour in the left hand
angle of the rear wing. Probably later in C18 or in the C19 a single
storey outshut was added to the extreme end of the rear wing and a single
storey outbuilding was built in its left hand angle.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Long, not quite symmetrical 7-window front of
closely-spaced 12-pane sashes, 4 of the first floor sashes are early C18
with thick glazing bars and the others have been replaced in the early C19,
but all in exposed cases. The doorway, to the right of centre has an C18
doorcase with fluted pilasters and frieze paterae and cornice, fielded
panel reveals and contemporary fielded 8-panel door.
The left hand (south west) elevation is under 3 hipped roofs and has C18/19
2-light 12-pane sashes to the right and left, the ground floor left
replaced by C20 garden doors and at the centre a C20 fire escape to a first
floor doorway.
Rear: The gable-ended stair tower to the left has a large circa 1700 24-
pane stair sash with thick glazing bars and a circa 1700 cross mullion-
transom window on the left hand side. The outer north east side of the
rear wing has an early C18 2-light sash on the ground and first floor to
the left with thick glazing bars, the ground floor has 12-pane sashes, the
first floor has 18-pane sashes, C19 3-light casement to the right and an
early C18 fielded 6-panel door between with a thatched canopy.
Including back yard wall; circa C18 or early C19, slate rubble with slate
capping, curved on plan in the angle with the rear wing and stair tower,
enclosing a small back yard. The wall incorporates a small mounting block.
Interior: The entrance passage has fielded dado panelling and a moulded
round arch to the stair well at the back with a good circa 1700 open-well,
open string staircase, 2 turned balusters per tread and a moulded handrail
ramped up to Tuscan column newels, the hand rail is wreathed over the
curtail; the staircase has fielded panels land what remains of the cornice
is moulded. The former hall (central room in front range) has a C19
moulded plaster cornice, fielded panel door and shutters. The parlour to
the left (south west) end has fielded panel window shutters fielded
panelling, dentilled cornice and a moulded wooden chimneypiece with a late
C19 iron grate in the corner. The main room in the rear wing has a large
fireplace an ovolo moulded timber lintel with bar stops dressed slate jambs
and a brick lined oven. The room behind the rear wing is now the kitchen
and has closely-spaced light scantling cross-beams. The first floor bed
chamber to rear right (north west) has a deep coved cornice and a simple
C18 chimneypiece with a moulded cornice and a late C19 cast iron grate.
Roof: The roof over the main front range has straight principals with
notch lap jointed cambered collars, threaded purlins and threaded diagonal
ridgepiece, only some of the purlins and rafters survive. The roof over
the original rear wing has straight principals with halved and lapped
collars; the roof over the extension to the rear wing has been largely
replaced.


Listing NGR: SX8449754859

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.