If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Date Listed: 26 April 1993
English Heritage Building ID: 101359
OS Grid Reference: SX7081456646
OS Grid Coordinates: 270814, 56646
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3955, -3.8189
Explore more of the area around North Huish, Devon at Explore Britain.
Rectory now an hotel. Early C19 house remodelled and greatly extended in
circa 1849 to 50 and extended again later in the C19. Stone rubble
rendered and lined out. Dry slate roofs with lead rolls to the ridges, the
gabled end and gabled front has pierced wavey bargeboards in wood
decorated with quatrefoils, pendants and finials. The right hand end of
the south front has an embattled parapet with moulded coping. Rendered
axial and gable end stacks, some with yellow brick diagonally set shafts.
Plan: The early C19 house was relegated to a service range at the back
(north) when in circa 1840-50 a large Tudor Gothic style house was built at
the front (south). This addition has a central entrance hall which leads
to a stairwell behind a small office to the left of the entrance; to the
right of the entrance there is a larger room which was probably the dining
room. At the extreme left there is a cross wing containing the drawing
room and a smaller room behind. The early C19 range fills the angle
between the main range and the back of the cross wing; at the right end of
the early C19 range there is a large single storey lean-to and at the left
end of the 1840-50 range there is a 2 storey 1-room plan block which was
probably added later in the C19. The whole house is in Tudor Gothic style
including the early C19 part which was refashioned when the additions were
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5 window front of 1:3:1 window bays.
To the left the broad gable end of the cross wing is slightly advanced and
has a large 4-light moulded mullion transom window with 4-centred heads
with decorated spandrels to the top lights and a hoodmould with flower
design in the stops, and a large oriel above with similar lights and a
heavily moulded corbelled soffit with a frieze of quatrefoils. The 3-bay
section of the centre is symmetrical and has 2 steeper pitched gables left
and right with small blind panels with hoodmoulds; the first floor windows
have moulded mullions and transoms with 4-centred headed lights and
hoodmoulds, the centre window 2 lights, left and right 3-light windows;
ground floor 2 canted bays with similar windows and a central battlemented
porch with diagonal buttresses at the corners with set offs and lion
gargoyles above, the battlements are stepped up to a small gable over the
centre with a shield and ribbon below; the heavily moulded 4-centred arch
doorway has leaf decoration in the spandrels and a hoodmould. The inner
doorway has a semi-circular fanlight with radial glazing bars and a half
glazed C19 door. The late C19 1-window bay extension to the right has a
3-light window on the ground floor and a 2-light window on the first floor,
both with transoms, 4-centred arch lights and hoodmoulds.
The left hand return has a wide gable to right and a smaller gable to the
left; on the ground floor right a wide splayed bay window with battlements
and a 3-light window above; to the left a similar 3-light window on the
ground floor and a 2-light window on the first floor all with 4-centred
arch lights and hoodmoulds.
Rear elevation: gabled cross wing to right with 2 and 3-light mullion
transom windows with hoodmoulds and 4-centred arch lights. Set back to
left the early C19 house with a 3-window range of 12-pane sashes with
hoodmoulds; ground floor right a tripartite sash and to left of centre a
C19 6-panel door with a rectangular fanlight and a simple gabled porch; the
left hand gable end of this range has a truncated stack and a large single
storey lean-to extension. The back of the main front range to the left has
a 12-pane sashes with a hoodmould and gabled attic dormers above. To the
left the later C19 extension with a lower hipped rood.
Interior: The drawing room has a white marble gothic chimneypiece with a
moulded Tudor arch; moulded egg and dart cornice, the ceiling board is
richly moulded with flowers and fruit and the centrepiece has acanthus
leaves and a wreath; the window shutters are intact. The office to the
left of the entrance is plain and its chimneypiece has been replaced. The
room to the right of the entrance has a Devonian marble chimneypiece with a
4-centred arch, quatrefoil frieze and corbels supporting the mantel; a
moulded ceiling cornice with moulded trailing vine and centrepiece. The
extreme right hand room has a cast iron chimneypiece with an eagle in the
frieze and pilasters depicting the arts with musical instruments, artists
palettes and writer's quills etc; the walls are lined in boarding. The
open-well open string staircase has octagonal newels with pendants, hollow
chamfered stick balusters and a moulded oak handrail with mould capping
over the newels. Most of the C19 joinery is intact on the ground floor.
The first floor has many earlier C19 moulded 6-panel doors.
Listing NGR: SX7081456646
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.