If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Southern House
Date Listed: 26 April 1993
English Heritage Building ID: 101366
OS Grid Reference: SX7196255908
OS Grid Coordinates: 271962, 55908
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3891, -3.8025
Explore more of the area around North Huish, Devon at Explore Britain.
4/454 Southern House
House. Circa 1869 to 1870. Stuccoed stone rubble. Dry hipped slate roof
with lead rolls to hips and ridge. Deeply overhanging eaves with moulded
cornice to soffit. Rendered axial stacks to left and right of ridge.
Plan: Square double depth plan with central entrance hall containing the
stairwell towards the back left, and 2 front rooms, the drawing room to the
left and dining room to the right with a kitchen to the rear right from
which rises the servants' stair; and a servants' room to the left; between
the 2 back rooms behind the stairwell a scullery and behind the servants'
room to the left a small one room plan wing containing the dairy on the
ground floor with stairs to a chamber above which does not have first
floor access to the main house. There are cellars under only the front of
the house. The verandah across the front is probably a later C19 addition.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window range all in moulded stuccoed
architraves with moulded cills; rusticated angle quoins, plinth, moulded
eaves cornice and band at first floor level with bead moulding. C19
tripartite sashes to left and right with horizontal glazing bars. The
centre first floor window has 2 round headed lights with moulded
architraves and 2 C19 sashes with horizontal glazing bars. Central doorway
with moulded architrave,large rectangular fanlight with stained glass
margin panes and large C19 field 4-panel door. Across the front a later
C19 verandah with a scalloped zinc valance, slender cast iron posts and
later corrugated asbestos roof, the centre section of the verandah is
glazed to form a porch
The left hand and right hand returns (west and east sides) symmetrical 2
windows, those to the front rooms are blind and those lighting the back
rooms have 12-pane sashes; all in moulded architraves like those at the
The back has a symmetrical arrangement of C19 casements with a large
rectangular fixed light window lighting the stairs at the centre and a
flush panel door to the left into the kitchen. A short gable ended wing to
the right and a single storey wing to the left with a lean-to roof against
a side wall. Later lean-to outshut between the 2 wings.
Interior: The right hand front room has a white marble chimneypiece with
console brackets and an iron grate, and a moulded plaster cornice. Similar
left hand room but with a black marble chimneypiece. Inscribed in pencil
on -the wall plaster of the right hand front room:- Frank Harvey Painted,
Grained and Paperhanged this New House for Mr H Mills, Newton Abbot, In the
year 1869 and 1870".
The entrance hall has a moulded cornice and plaster centrepiece in high
relief with anthelion and acanthus leaves. The open well stairs have an
open string slender turned balusters and a moulded mahogany handrail
wreathed over the curtail newel. All the C19 joinery is intact including
panelled doors, doorframes and panelled internal window shutters. The
back rooms are much plainer. The servants' room has its chimneypiece
removed and the dairy behind has slate slabs and stairs to a chamber above
with stick balusters and turned newels. The first landing at the back has
a WC with borrowed light above for the stairs from a large window with
stained glass margin panes.
Listing NGR: SX7196255908
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.