Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Bournemouth
Description: Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart
Date Listed: 1 August 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 101700
OS Grid Reference: SZ0865791278
OS Grid Coordinates: 408657, 91278
Latitude/Longitude: 50.7211, -1.8787
Location: Richmond Hill, Bournemouth BH1 1BZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1. ALBERT ROAD
5l86 (South East Side)
Roman Catholic Church
of the Sacred Heart
SZ O891 13/136 1.8.74.
1872-4, Henry Clutton, enlarged and externally remodelled 1896-8 by A J Pilkington.
Interior preserves most of Clutton: 3-bay arcades, Early French double-columns
with shaft-rings and simplified capitals. Crossing arches similar, but clustered
columns on foliage corbels. North aisle with transverse half-arches as buttresses,
south aisle with gables at right-angles. Nave roof boarded, with big kingposts.
East end all by Pilkington: short chancel, with east wall panelled in marble
as background for reredos by P P Pugin, with 3 spirelets over statues, 8 smaller
niches. Altar rail of strange Renaissance design (? Clutton): openwork brass
foliage, with white marble portrait medallions of Jesuit saints, in shallow bow.
North chapel with tieceron vault and Spanish Gothic altar of the Assumption (192l-2).
South chapel, wooden vault, another canopied reveals. Externally, tower by Clutton:
buff brick and stone with straight-headed transomed and traceried belfry windows,
cornice with globules and pyramid spire of banded slate. Remainder by Pilkington,
in rock-faced Portland stone, except for Clutton's aisle gables (Perpendicular
tracery). Windowless gable to chancel with canopied niches, on high basement
The Presbytery and Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred heart form a group.
Listing NGR: SZ0865791278
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.