If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Parish Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 31 July 1961
English Heritage Building ID: 105707
OS Grid Reference: ST5895018536
OS Grid Coordinates: 358950, 118536
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9648, -2.5859
Explore more of the area around Trent, Dorset at Explore Britain.
Parish Church cf St Andrew
Parish Church. Nave and north chapel of C13 origin, altered and extended. South
tower and porch added early C14. Chancel rebuilt in C15, when nave lengthened.
Repairs of 1694 and 1729 (panels on south wall). Restoration of 1840. Organ
chamber and west vestry, C19 additions. Rubble-stone and ashlar walls. Stone
slate and slate roofs, with gable-copings. Nave has two C15 3-light windows to
north and south walls, much restored. Immediately east of the eastern window (5)
are the E. splay and part of the cill of a medieval window, straight joint between
the two indicating former extent of nave. C15 west window is of 3 cinquefoiled
lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head, with a moulded label and returned
stops. West doorway into vestry. South tower, of 3 stages with angle buttresses
with set-offs, finished with a trefoiled corbel-table with head corbels, a parapet
of pierced quatrefoils and angle-pinnacles. East wall of tower: ground window of
two trefoiled lights with pointed trefoils and Y-tracery head. 2-light window with
Y-tracery to winging-chamber. Tall 2-light window with Y-tracery and quatrefoil
in head, stone tracery to bell-openings. All have labels and head-stops. South
wall has a 3-light window with trefoiled lights and geometrical tracery in head;
the windows above are are similar to the east wall. Access to turret staircase
in S.W. angle of tower, externally. N. wall of tower has a doorway to nave roof,
with chamfered jambs and pointed head. Stone spire largely rebuilt, C19, octagonal
with ribbed angles. South porch: outer archway, pointed and of one continuous
chamfered order, moulded label and defaced head stops. High pent roof against
west face of the tower. Restored quatrefoil parapets. The north chapel has a
restored early C14 E. window cf 3 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a pointed
head. Label and head-stops. North wall and windows are C19. West wall has a
blocked lancet window, C13. Angle and clasping buttresses externally. Chancel with
diagonal and straight buttresses, and above them carved figures, C15. East window
is of 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery in a pointed head. Label
with returned stops. Both N. and S. walls have 2 windows of 2 lights, similar
design to E. window. West vestry, C19, of polygonal form, reset in the W. wall
is a C15 doorway with moulded jambs flanked by small square buttresses set
diagonally. Interior: Nave, north wall has C14 archway, segmental pointed, to
N. chapel. Cavity in wall E. of this. E. wall has a C15 lower doorway to the
road loft staircase, with moulded jambs and 4-centred head. The upper doorway
is square-headed. Roofs: nave, mid C19, with depressed vaulting and angels
holding Apostles' shields-of-arms at the springers. Porch, early C14 of 2 bays,
with moulded braces forming segmental arches, carved bosses, moulded corbels
carved with heads and leaves. Fittings: Rood-screen, oak, 5 bays including
doorway, divided by grouped shafts supporting ribbed soffit of loft. Panelled
dado, six panels to a bay, with trefoiled ogee and crocketed heads, moulded and
carved rail. Open upper panels of six cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical
tracery in pointed heads, C15. (See RCHM). Under arch to north chapel, low
screen of oak, 5 bays divided by carved brackets, arched panels below and enriched
above, mid C17. Doors: S. doorway, medieval. W. doorway, 2 leaves with 4-centred
head and panelled, C15. Pews and bench-ends, with moulded and panelled backs.
Square-headed bench-ends carved with window-tracery, Apostles, symbols of Passion,
etc, early C16. Some dated 1840 to match. Font-cover in tower, octagonal with
base of quatrefoils and pierced traceried sides, C15. Pulpit: octagonal, with
carved angles including figures, each face with cartouche below and figure-
subject above, probably Dutch, c. 1600. Glass: chancel E. window, collection of
C16 and C17 Swiss, German and other glass placed here in C19 by Rev. Turner.
N. and S. windows have glass by Wailes, 1842, with figures of Apostles. Helmets,
late C16 and C17 in north chapel. Monuments, numerous, to Storke, 1530, Freestone
effigies in N. chapel, both C14. Against arch to nave, monument of plain side-
columns supporting an entablature with achievement-of-arms of Gerard impaling
Coker, and painted decoration on respond at back. Soffit of arch above painted
with a genealogical tree. C17 monuments to Gerards, and to Sir Francis Wyndham,
Bart, 1676. Weathercock, on spire, copper with rounded body. On wings are the
names of the rector, churchwardens, maker and date, George Gaylard, 1698.
(RCHM, Dorset I, p 253(1)).
Listing NGR: ST5895518536
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.