If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Came House
Date Listed: 26 January 1956
English Heritage Building ID: 105999
OS Grid Reference: SY7045988246
OS Grid Coordinates: 370459, 88246
Latitude/Longitude: 50.6931, -2.4196
Explore more of the area around Winterborne Came, Dorset at Explore Britain.
SY 78 NW WINTERBORNE CAME
6/107 Came House
Country House in grounds 1754-1762, by Francis Cartwright of Blandford
for John Damer. 1758, Cartwright's death, after which Messrs Vile and
Cobb of London employed for interior decoration. Mid C19, now entrance
with porch, vestibule and cloakrooms built at west end of house.
Conservatory added on the south and west of this block. Ashlar stone
walls and hipped slate roofs. Composite stone stacks in central valley
and at right angles to this. Plan: near circulation of rooms with hall
moved from north front to south front, and subsequently in C19. North
front: 2 storeys upon a basement. 7 bays, of which the centre three project
as a columniated and pedimented centre piece. Basement mainly above
ground level, forms a channelled podium, grilled windows with keystones.
Centre piece breaks forward, four Composite columns, entablature
with pulvinated frieze and carved modillions and pediment enclosing a
carved cartouche with arms of Damer impaling Rush, floral festoons and
date 1754. Central doorway converted to a window. Main floor centre
sashes with glazing bars, plain cills and aprons, moulded eaved
architraves, pulvinated friezes and cornices with pediments, the central one
segmental. Upper sashes are square with the architrave moulding
returned along the cills. To each side of the centre piece, the
sashes have moulded architraves interrupted by keystones. Cornice
continues each side with plain, shaped modillions and is surmounted by
a balustraded parapet. South front has the basement storey entirely
concealed. 2 storeys and attics above this. 7 bays. Centre piece is a
projecting tripartite composition. Ground floor: central French window
is flanked by attached Ionic columns with entablature and pediment
to each side the entablature is repeated over flanking windows with pilasters.
First floor: a central round headed window and two square headed windows
make a variant on the normal Palladian motif, each window being flanked
by Corinthianized pilasters. The arched centre window keeps below the
main central pediment. Balustraded parapet. The sash windows
in the flanking bays are uniform with those on the north front but the
spacing is quite different. East and west ends have the cornice and
parapet returned from the main front, the cornice is without modillions
and the mouldings to window architraves are simpler. Lead down pipes
with cisterns embossed with the crest of Damer. At the east end, the
single storey passage way connecting to the kitchen annexe has its north
side divided into bays by rusticated piers. The walls are finished with
plat band and parapet. The kitchen annexe has a plain plinth, moulded
cornice and parapet. Hipped slate roof and ashlar stacks. Two storeys.
3 windows to north elevation, sashes with glazing bars having moulded
architraves and keystones. Double sash at right ground. The west end of the
house has an entrance wing with a rusticated base, cornice and parapet.
The entrance on the north side is by an open archway leading to a covered
stair up to the doorway. The conservatory, c1840, has panelled stone piers
with moulded caps and bases at the angles, carrying an entablature with
pulvinated frieze and balustraded parapet. The main openings to the south
are sub divided by narrow stone piers. Over the main part of the
conservatory is a formerly glazed octagonal dome carried on eight fluted
iron columns with acanthus leaf decoration and square pedestals.
Within the octagon eight more slender fluted timber columns
carry a circular trellis. Interior: important rococo interiors
to the Saloon (Hall), Drawing Room and Dining Room including
panelled and scrolled plaster work ceilings, fireplaces with
overmantels, doorways and window architraves, all described in
detail, in RCHM, see below. Library was refitted in early C19.
Bookcase with glazed doors. Reset fireplace of red and white
marble. Schoolroom now converted to a kitchen has rococo
ceiling ornament. Staircase has stone steps with mahogany
hand rail carried on scrolled wrought iron standards and a turned mahogany
newel at bottom. The basement rooms are all covered with
simple plastered vaulting. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.384 (3),
including Ground Plan. Plates 56, 57, 133, 188, 189, 190.
Hutchins II, p.289).
Listing NGR: SY7046688249
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.