If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: 12-15, the College
Date Listed: 6 May 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 110139
OS Grid Reference: NZ2726642040
OS Grid Coordinates: 427266, 542040
Latitude/Longitude: 54.7725, -1.5777
DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE THE COLLEGE
NZ 2742 SW (West end)
14/91 Nos. 12-15 consecutive
(formerly listed as House
6.5.52 with Diocesan registry
under, passage to river
banks, house adjoining
passage to river banks,
and Bishop of Jarrow's
3 houses, now 4 houses and offices; incorporating part of Priory Guest Hall.
Medieval guest hall; late C17 rebuilding; C18 upper floor of No. 15 at right;
substantial remodelling in 1808 by Atkinson of No. 12 at left; 1830 date above
door of No. 14 in centre. No. 13 runs through all 3 buildings at basement level.
L-plan, No. 12 projects at left and No. 14 is extruded. No. 12 (including part
of No. 14 at right rear): Atkinson's Roman cement render with painted ashlar
dressings; roof not visible. Nos. 14 and 15 ashlar; roofs not visible; rendered
No. 12: castle style. 3 storeys, 4 windows; projecting corner turrets, the right
with one window. 2-storey battlemented porch in second bay has studded door in
double-chamfered Tudor-arched surround. Tudor-arched passage entry under right
turret; similar heads to small ground-floor and tall first-floor windows, the
latter with Perpendicular tracery; square-headed windows above doors and on top
floor have Tudor-headed lights; all have dripmoulds. Eaves string; roll-moulded
battlemented parapets, higher on turrets. 2 panelled chimneys. Rain-water heads
with shields; lugged pipe fixings. Right return has 2 coats of arms and 3-step
No. 14: Gothic style. 3 storeys, one bay. Side steps, the lowest two quadrant-
shaped, up to Tudor-headed studded door in deeply-chamfered surround; cusped light
at left. Similar lights in oriel above door with emblems and shields on cornice;
single cusped window on top floor under low gable with eaves string and roll-moulded
coping. Front wall of steps has 2 small rectangular windows. Right angle buttress;
coat of arms on right return, above inserted door to No.13.
No. 15: one storey, 7 bays. Wide steps up to stone terrace in front of boarded
door in third bays elaborate hinges and 3-light overlight under flat stone lintel.
Chamfered quoins at right end. Tall 3-light windows have wood mullions and
transoms, flat stone lintels and flat stone sills; double-chamfered 2-light basement
windows. Eaves band. Moulded parapet string and coping. Basement has part of
medieval jamb at left with 2 shafts. Rendered brick chimneys. Square gas lamp
on iron bracket at left of door. Rear elevation, high over river banks, has much
medieval masonry, including principal window of No. 13 and garderobe drains of
Interiors: tunnel-vaulted passage to river bank; at left a round-headed door to
undercroft, which has round columns supporting wide chamfered ribs of quadripartite
vaults. Post-Reformation above, apart from thick east-west walls. Porch has rib
vault and inner Tudor-style door; central open-string stair of one flight and long
landing with Gothick balustrades. First floor octagonal vestibules have Tudor-
arched doors and niches. One c.1700 room has fielded panelling, corniced chimney-piece
with C19 iron fire-shutters; other decoration Gothick, with Tudor chimney-pieces,
book-cases, crested pelmets and panelled shutters; varied cornices.
Nos. 12 and 14 have C17 and C18 rooms behind, some panelled, one with scroll-
bracketed corniced chimney-piece, architraves and cornices to corner closets,
pedimented doorcase. Other rooms have Tudor-arched chimney-pieces, Gothic
corbels and panelled ceilings, wide glazing bars and panelled shutters. Top
room has deeply-moulded roof beams of late C16/early C17. Early C19 Gothick
doors from stairs to all rooms. No. 15 has early C18 stucco ceiling in one room
and rococo decoration in another; C18 chimney-pieces and panelled door reveals.
No. 13 has much medieval masonry, with rebated and chamfered 2-centred arched
door at north; 2-centred and shouldered arches elsewhere; stone corbels supporting
massive chamfered beams; red paint on stone and wood. Garderobe closet. Massive
stone lintel over former kitchen fire, with spit machinery bearing founder's name
W. Moore. Bolection-moulded panelling and deeply-moulded stucco cornice in bedroom.
Listing NGR: NZ2725842042
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.