If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Windlestone Hall Residential School
Date Listed: 9 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 112288
OS Grid Reference: NZ2636128676
OS Grid Coordinates: 426361, 528676
Latitude/Longitude: 54.6525, -1.5929
NZ 22 NE WINDLESTONE A 689
9/88 (inset) Windlestone Hall
9/1/68 Residential School
House, now County Council residential school. Circa 1835 rebuilding, by
Ignatius Bonomi, for Sir Robert Johnson Eden; Bart,, of C16 house; said to
incorporate part of rear wing rebuilt c.1750, Billiard room added second half
C19. Ashlar sandstone said to have come from Gatherley Moor, N, Riding; rear
service wing rendered with ashlar dressings. Roofs thick light grey slates,
not visible from front. Long U-plan.
Main range, facing east, 2 storeys, 3:1:3:2:3 bays, 12 in all, and one-storey
2-bay billiard-room block breaking forward at right end. First 7 bays treated
symmetrically, with projecting balustraded smooth Doric colonnade, with
triglyph frieze, on stylobate: wide central bay projects and is tetrastyle;
paired columns in flanking bays. Aproned sashes behind colonnade, with 3 in
central bay. Recessed eighth and ninth bays have colonnade continuing main
building line, with frieze as at left, but no balustrade: steps up to double
doors with long flanking sashes. Aproned first-floor sashes, with wide
pilasters flanking window over central colonnade projections. 3 right bays
have similar windows on both floors, the upper on floor-levelband continuing
from cornice of colonnade. All sashes have fine glazing bars and plain
reveals. Roof balustrade continues around returns, the left of 8 bays,bays 2
and 3, and 7 and 8,projecting; statues in niches in first bay. Right return
has large apse. Billiard room in similar style to main building with
projecting square bay at left, and half-glazed door at right: roof balustrade
with ball finials: high corniced wall at right to conceal pent extension on
right return. Hipped roof.
Rear elevation of main block has steps up to half-glazed door under bracketed
hood. Rear service wing, on long arm of U, has 2-light windows in Tudor style.
Interior: small entrance hall with elaborate stucco ceiling decoration, in
same style as that over main staircase, leads to long passage, which opens at
south into full-height hall with 2 pairs of Ionic columns, finished in
porphyry-like scagliola, in east towards garden and on north towards stair.
These support classical frieze with low-relief scenes in style of Parthenon,
with marbled panels filling upper walls: ceiling has 2 glazed domes on
guilloche-moulded drums, and stucco coats of arms between the domes. Glazed
partition on east: possibly this was intended to be the main entrance, with
a change in an early stage of planning. On north, Imperial stair, with 2
slender diabolo balusters per tread and turned newels, supporting ramped
handrail: richly-decorated panelled ceiling with initials 'RJE, WE AND RE'.
Library opening from south of hall has veneered fascia over bookcases,
shelves lost, with slender brass balustrade to balcony in front of upper
cases: dummy books conceal entrance to upper level: C18-style marble chimney-
piece. Most doors 6-panelled, in panelled reveals, with architraves. Many
North apse contains cantilevered stair with cast-iron balustrade. Room to
north-west of main hall, now kitchen, probably former drawing room, has change
of floor level; coved ceiling has (probably C19) rococo-style stucco decoration:
central swirling acanthus leaves; coving with baskets of flowers, thick trails
of flowers, oak-leaf and other classical mouldings, shells and brackets:
partly obscured by insertion of ducts from ovens. Billiard room has stucco
decoration on coved ceiling in Jacobean style with strapwork panels. C17
panelling, transferred by Eden family from their house at West Auckland,
now in Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle.
Sources: H.C. Surtees, History of the Parish of Coundon, (Mainsforth) 1926,
Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon, K.G., P.C., M.C., Another World 1897-1917, 1976:
and information from Mrs. J. Crosby concerning ceiling design signed by
Bonomi, thus confirming the frequently-made but never supported assertion that
he was the architect. H.C. Surtees thanksLady Eden for help, and seems to
have seen family papers, but gives no proof for the attribution he makes to
C20 rear addition not of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2636128676
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.