If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Giles
Date Listed: 21 June 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 114302
OS Grid Reference: TL8081734570
OS Grid Coordinates: 580817, 234570
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9802, 0.6315
Explore more of the area around Great Maplestead, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 83 SW GREAT MAPLESTEAD CHURCH STREET
4/76 Church of St. Giles
Parish Church. C12 apse and tower. C13 Chancel. C14 Chancel arch and south
aisle. Mainly c17 south transept. C19 north aisle, north transept, north
vestry, south porch. Heavily restored Cl9. Walls of flint and pebble rubble,
some areas plastered. C17 repairs to east side of tower are of red brick. Red
plain tiled roofs. Apse. C12. 3 round headed windows Cl9 but east window may
be C12 restored. Semi-circular arch between apse and chancel has plain
chamfered imposts, soffit with 5 painted roundels relics of 1566 stencilled
painting. Gablet to Apse roof. C19 bronze altar rails. Chancel. C13 lancet
window in north wall, below it is a slightly later low sided window with lancet
head and rear arch and iron stanchion and bars, east of this is a blocked lancet
window and a C19 doorway. South Wall has two restored C14 2 trefoiled light
windows with quatrefoils in two-centred heads. C14 chancel arch is two-centred
of two chamfered orders, responds have attached semi-octagonal shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. Painted C19 scrollwork to window splays. In the
cill of the eastern south wall window is a C13 coffin lid ribbed and carved with
a cross. Above the chancel arch is a circa 1800 copy of Raphael's "Lo Spasimo
di Scicilia". The 5 cant ceiled roof is covered with C19 star design. Circa
1850 North Vestry built at Mrs. Gee's expense has a C17 corner cupboard.
Doorway to chancel has a label with face stops of a King and a Bishop. 2 light
ogee window to north wall. Caernarvon Head to west door. Nave. C19 ceiled 7
cant roof. C14 south arcade of 3 two-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders,
octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Matching C19 north arcade.
South Transept. East wall mid C14 window of 3 lights, under a 2 centred head.
South wall C19 window with original internal splays. In west wall a C14 arch of
two chamfered orders, broken to abut on the arcade wall. Piscina in east wall
with cusped ogee head and cinquefoiled drain. On the external gable wall is a
stone sundial with iron gnomon, dated 1660. Sometimes called The Deane Chapel,
the transept contains two very fine Monuments. On the east wall set in a
recessed arch, Sir John Deane. Dated 1625. Reclining full sized figure clad in
plate armour. Head rests on right hand, at feet a muzzled bear. Above are
small kneeling figures of his widow, 2 sons and 4 daughters. On west wall in
arched recess Anne (Drury) wife of Sir John Deane who died 1633. Erected by her
son Sir Dru Deane 1634. Alabaster standing effigy in widows weeds with raised
hand. Effigy recumbent at her feet of her son dressed in plate armour and
wearing a lace collar, head resting on matting, feet on a muzzled bear.
Monuments restored to original colours 1964. South Aisle. South wall C13
doorway with roll moulded jambs and a two-centred arch with a moulded label with
King and Bishop head stops. West wall. C17 red brick window of 2 lights under
a square head. Circa 1400 octagonal font, each side carved with a quatrefoil
and shield, originally painted with only traces now remaining. North Transept
and North Aisle added in AD1861 to balance the south transept and aisle. Two
four light windows in the north wall and matching of three lights in the west
wall. A fragment of Saxon interlaced stonework is preserved on the north east
window cill. C17 chest against east wall. West Tower. Crenellated, of two
unbuttressed stages, the lower of two storeys. Ground storey and western half
of upper storey and second stage are C12 flint rubble, the rest early C17 red
brick repair. The C17 tower arch is of brick. Repairs were also carried out
1963 when part of the south west corner fell away. Ground floor C12 windows to
north and south of one light. C19 west window. Second storey C17 loops to
north, south and west with C12 rear splays. Bell chamber north south and west
walls have each a window of 2 pointed lights in a two
centre head, possibly C13 restored. Brick c17 east window with two four centred
lights under a four centred head. 3 bells (1) John Danyell of London 1460.
(2) Henry Pleasant made me 1700 (Sudbury) (3) Cast MCMXXIII to replace bell
cast by Thos. Gardner 1728. T.F.M. & I.L.M. Clock to west face presented by
Mrs. Sperling 1883. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL8081734570
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.