If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Gosfield Hall
Date Listed: 1 August 1946
English Heritage Building ID: 114670
OS Grid Reference: TL7751229713
OS Grid Coordinates: 577512, 229713
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9376, 0.5809
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Well house and donkey wheel at Gosfield Hall, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
Explore more of the area around Gosfield, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 72 NE GOSFIELD HALL DRIVE
7/158 Gosfield Hall
House. Mid C16 quadrangular with east front remodelled for John Knight after
c.1715. South front remodelled by Sir Thomas Millington c.1700 (Pevsner), north
front remodelled for Earl Nugent prior to c.1788. Restorations for Samuel
Courtauld (owner of Halstead weaving mills), c.1854 to c.1881. Mainly red
brick with blue brick diapering. Stucco facing to south and north fronts.
Plain red tiled roofs. Two storeys, attics and cellars. West Face of five
symmetrical bays with C19 gabled angle projections right and left and five
gables to original face. Moulded brick parapets and finials to gables. Moulded
brick corbel table on plaster excepting to gables and the four two shaft
octagonal brick chimney stacks. These chimney shafts with moulded bases and
caps. The two centre chimney stacks are external and crow stepped with recessed
arches and seats to bases. Matching recessed arches below the other stacks.
Gables break forward. Stone window ranges with leaded lights of 1:1:1:1:1:1:1
to attics of mainly three lights, that to centre entrance gable with clock face
over, circular lights to C19 projections and five lights to left. 7 window
range to first floor of six lights with transomes excepting that to left of
four lights with transoms and moulded brick crenellations over and the C19 five
light bays. 1:1:0:0:0:1:1 to ground floor of four lights and C19 five light
bays. Central entrance gateway of moulded brick with jambs and a four-centred
arch set in a square head with label over. Ornamental brick shields to
spandrels. C18 bell cote above central entrance, plain polygonal base, moulded
timber supports, moulded and dentilled cornice surmounted by ribbed lead covered
head with ball finial and weathervane. South face. To left is the red brick
red plain tiled two storey return wall of the C19 projection which has a central
red brick chimney stack with two octagonal shafts and two window range of small
paned vertically sliding sashes with segmental heads. Main range. Hipped red
tiled roof with six flat head dormers. Five panelled red brick chimney stacks.
Two storeys and attics. Symmetrical 17 bays stucco faced. The pedimented
central three bays break forward, rusticated with moulded pediment, metopes and
triglyphs to frieze, bands above and below first floor windows with pilasters
between, semi-circular heads with keystones to ground floor windows. The two
flanking bays are rusticated to ground floor with rusticated arches to first
floor windows. Pilasters separate the second and third bays and pilaster to
right angle. Moulded and dentilled cornice to the five end bays. Vertical
sliding sash windows. Windows two and sixteen with panels under. Central band
and plinth. East Face. Symmetrical, red brick with blue brick diapering. Red
tiled roofs, hipped to 2 projecting angle bays. Seventeen bays, the five
central bays raised with panelled and stone capped parapet, moulded cornice
under. Excepting these five bays, two storeys and attics. 8 dormers with
moulded pedimented or segmental heads, moulded and dentilled eaves cornice,
moulded central band. Pilasters to angles of projecting bays. 3:3:5:3:3 window
range of small paned vertically sliding sashes, excepting the five central bays.
Projections with 3 bay returns of similar windows. The five central bays have
five recessed central panels with gauged brick arches. Moulded bands over and
under. Five range to first floor of stone leaded three light windows with two
transoms and labels over. Four range to ground floor of tall small paned
vertically sliding sashes with segmental brick arches and moulded keystones.
Fine central doorway with fluted Ionic columns on a rusticated background,
upswept moulding to frieze, dentilled and moulded segmental head. Double doors,
each of eight panels. Central six panelled doors with small paned lights over
to right and left projections. North Face. To the right is the projecting red
brick return of the west projection. Red tiled roof, external chimney stack
with two octagonal shafts. Two storeys, with three scattered vertically sliding
sash windows with glazing bars. Part glazed door to left. Timber supports and
carved brackets to shallow porch pediment. Segmental head and pendant under.
Moulded central band to left return. Main face, stucco of eighteen bays. Two
storeys and attics. The central seven bays raised with moulded and dentilled
parapet, enriched cornice and moulded band under. Red plain tiled roofs to
right and left, hipped to left. Flat head dormer to left. Four red brick
chimney stacks, panelled with crenellated bases, excepting to right which has
a moulded base and attached shafts. Dentilled eaves cornice. Central band
carries through. Centre bays rusticated with Corinthian pilasters between the
tall first floor windows, line arches over. 6:7:5 window range of small paned
vertically sliding sashes, that to far right an extension bay window of three
lights with the forward extension to ground floor having three windows.
Pilasters to right and left ranges. Two ten panelled doors to central bays
with moulded pilasters, scroll brackets and moulded segmental heads. To left
is a six panelled door with moulded surround and louvre over. Courtyard: West
Face. Red and black brick. Red plain tiled roofs. Lion masks to gutters.
Central forward gable with pinnacles. Moulded brick corbel table on plaster.
Central moulded stone band. Two storeys. Seven window range first floor. Six
window range, ground floor of leaded four light stone windows with moulded
labels excepting to centre entrance gable which has similar six light window
with centre transom. Moulded brick central entrance way with jambs and four-
centred arch, shields to spandrels, moulded label. Later stone statues to right
and left with flowing drapery. Stone coat of arms over. Four circular Roman
Emperor head plaques above first floor windows. Moulded stone surrounds with
labels over to right and left vertically boarded, nailed doors. Ornate
rainwater heads and brackets to down-pipes. Courtyard: South Face. Corbel
table carries through. Two storeys. Central moulded stone band. Five window
range to first floor. Four window range to ground floor of stone, leaded five
light windows with centre transoms and moulded labels over, excepting first
floor left window which is matching of three lights. The nailed six panelled
door below this window with matching sidelights and four lights over. Three
shafts between ground floor windows surmounted by carved heads. Brick plinth.
Ornate head and brackets to rainwater pipe. This face probably partly rebuilt.
Courtyard North: Face Similar to South face except that the main windows are of
six lights. The three centre bays have an additional storey of three six light
windows, these without transoms. The door is to right. Courtyard: East Face.
Ten bays. The three storey forward five central bays are raised with stone
coping to panelled parapet and moulded cornice under. Two central moulded brick
bands, the upper dentilled, with three light windows between red tiled roofs to
outer two storey bays. 3:5:2 ranges of stone three light leaded windows with
centre transoms and moulded labels, excepting to the five central bays ground
and second floors which have two transoms. Central brick porch with mouldings
and dentills to parapet. Moulded four centred arch of two orders. Double doors
each of eight nailed panels. Stone statues to right and left and two bosses
over. Coat of Arms above porch. Four shafts with carved heads between windows.
Interior Many features remain from each period of building. The Long Gallery
which occupies the first floor of the west wing is panelled throughout with
linenfold panelling, has an original fireplace with central chimney stack and
iron fireback. There are two peepholes. Ballroom has a plastered and painted
ceiling. Panelled walls, pedimented door and marble fireplace. Grand Salon
with painted and plastered ceiling, panelled walls, marble fireplace. Library
panelled with Ionic pilasters, pedimented doors, C17 marble fireplace. Two
fine staircases. Many other panelled walls, doors, dados etc. of C17, C18 and
C19 but viewing limited as most rooms are private apartments. RCHM 3.
Listing NGR: TL7751229713
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.