If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 21 December 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 114950
OS Grid Reference: TL7614720722
OS Grid Coordinates: 576147, 220722
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8573, 0.5565
There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site and Two Fishponds at Black Notley Churchyard, 20m East of St Peter's and St Paul's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Black Notley, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 72 SE BLACK NOTLEY CHURCH ROAD
5/55 Church of St. Peter
21/12/67 and St. Paul
Parish church. C12 Nave. Chancel possibly C12 but may have been rebuilt
C15/C16. Early C16 south porch possibly mid C14 west bell turret C19 north
Vestry, organ chamber and much restoration. Flint rubble walls with stone
dressings. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate ridge tiles. Vertically boarded
bell turret with shingle octagonal spirelet, 2 light sounding louvres to each
face. 4 circular holes to either side of louvres. Exterior. Chancel with red
brick angle buttresses, one with stone panels with the date 1682 and the letters
I.P. C20 3 light east window with top tracery and 2 centred head and label.
North wall, gabled north vestry with C19 2 light window, top tracery, 2 centred
head and label. Vertically boarded door to west wall with 2 centred head and
label. West of the vestry is a restored C15 2 light window with tracery in a
square head. South wall has a C19/C20 2 light window with tracery in a 2
centred head with label. Nave south wall to east has a window similar to that
in the chancel but larger with different tracery, the internal details are
restored C14. There are 2 C12 round headed windows much restored. Between
these windows is the C12 plain semi-circular head to doorway, again restored.
The door is C19/C20 but with good C12 ironwork affixed to it. Remains of a
third C12 window are visible to the east. The north wall east window is similar
to that in the vestry and there are 2 C12 windows similar to those in the south
wail. A small red brick loop to the east of the east window originally gave
light to the rood stairs. The north doorway is not visible outside. West wall
window C15 of 3 lights with vertical tracery in a 4 centred head. There is a
C19 2 centred arch light with label above. South porch with crenellated wall
plate. Early moulded side purlins, moulded tie beams and principal rafters.
Chamfered common rafters, all main timbers with foliate stops. C19 flint base
to 6 light side walls. Timber seats. Carved spandrels to segmental arch with
cusped sidelights. Moulded bargeboards to gable. Stoup east of doorway, a
rough stone basin in triangular recess. Possibly C16. Interior. Chancel.
Boarded C15 7 cant roof, moulded wall plates. Carved bosses at angles. Moulded
tie beam. Piscina C19 with ogee head and 2 quartrefoil drains. Sedilia, C14
segmental pointed head, stop chamfered jambs - restored. C19 door to north
vestry with segmental pointed arch and label. C19 wrought iron altar rails.
C20 stained glass to east window after 1939-45 bomb damage. Grafitti dated 1699
to north wall window cill. No chancel arch. Tie beam with carved spandrels to
braces, stone corbels with ornate fleur-de-lis rood. Boarded upper arch.
Chancel screen of 5 bays moulded top plate with bosses. Panelled base, each bay
of 2 lights with tracery over. Double matching doors to centre. Nave. North
wall oak 2 centred arch doorway. Brick stairs to former rood loft. Blocked C12
north doorway. C14 piscina in south wall, cinquefoiled pointed head, chamfered
and hollow chamfered jambs with broach stops, quatrefoil drain. C19 carved
panel pulpit, octagonal on stone base. Roof of 7 cants with scissors over.
Moulded and crennellated wall plates. 2 sunk chamfered tie beams. Bell turret.
3 bays to east, the centre bay with arched braces forming a 4 centred arch.
Cross braces to other bays. The square upper part has curved struts on the
north and south sides and a pyramidal roof with spirelet. For detailed drawing
see C.A. Hewett Church Carpentry Plate XXIV. 2 hatchments, one each to north
and south walls. Small stone altar to north wall of bell turret. Heavy dug out
chest with plain iron band hinges. Wall monuments to W. Rayment 1766, E.
Notledge 1879, Thos. Dent 1741, Thos. Simpson 1836. 4 floor slabs to the
Notledge, Wydental, Coker and Pylae families. C19 stone octagonal font with
quatrefoils to panels. Small painting on south wall. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL7614720722
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.