If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 21 December 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 115063
OS Grid Reference: TL7330922913
OS Grid Coordinates: 573309, 222913
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8779, 0.5164
Explore more of the area around Rayne, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 7222 RAYNE SHALFORD ROAD
21/12/67 RAYNE HALL GREEN
8/181 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Believed to be circa 1510 west tower. Built for Sir William
Capell. C19 Nave, Chancel, Choir, Vestry and South Porch. Circa 1914 Sanctuary
and Clergy Vestry. Red brick. Red tiled roofs. Stone dressings to C19 windows
moulded red brick C20 windows. The very fine west tower, 11 ft. by 10 ft. of 3
stages with some blue brick diapering. Stepped buttresses, diagonal to west,
set back to north east with octagonal stair turret to south east, this with
moulded band to first and third stages, crenellated to second stage and
pyramidal 4 stage capping. Moulded plinth with a panelled course, 4 contain
shields, 2 blank, a lion and an anchor in the other 2, other panels with
quatrefolls. Slit lights to each stage. Plinth and stage bands follow through
all faces. Crenellated parapet with panels under, crocketed pinnacles at the
angles. A small window with 4 centred head to north and south walls. 4 walls
of bell chamber each with transomed 2 light louvre openings under a 4 centred
head. Slightly projecting west doorway and window plastered, right and left
oriel niches to half window height. Doorway with continuously moulded jambs and
4 centred arch under a square head with label. 3 light window with 4 centred
head and label. Moulded brick crow stepped pediment surmounted by crocketed
pinnacle. The sunken centre panel now with clock face. C19 Nave with angle
buttresses surmounted by pinnacles. Three 2 stage buttresses and four 2 light
windows to north and south walls. South porch with doorway similar to windows.
Parapet to gable. Circular window to east wall gable apex with single light
windows to north and south. C20 sanctuary with domed angle buttresses, angled
clergy vestry with flat roof. The east window of 3 moulded brick lights with
cusping and circles with tracery, in semi-circular head with label extending to
buttresses. Cusped 3 light window to vestry, 2 lights with moulded 4 centred
heads and one light with cusped segmental head. Moulded brick plinth. The west
door now used as the main door. Interior. Tower arch now double, the eastern
arch C19. Original 4 centred west arch responds shafted with moulded capitals
to east and chamfered to west. Replica Capell helm in tower. Nave with arched
braces and side struts to Queen post roof with circular bracing over. Pendants
to Queen posts arched braces on corbels to tie beams. Coloured glass to
windows. Arms of Earls of Essex over south door. C17 plain stone font. C14
octagonal restored font, with carved panels depicting lion, eagle, ox and man,
IHS, cross, dove, hand of God. 2 carved wooden angels believed to be from the
old church. C19 carved oak pulpit. Carved oak choir screen 1901, memorial to
Queen Victoria, carved by J.L. Rudken. Chancel. Rector's stall C16 carved oak.
C15 carved oak panel above entrance to clergy vestry. Bevington of London
organ. c.1480 stone slabs in front of altar with indents of a man in armour and
a woman with a butterfly head-dress. Santuary C15 sedilia and aumbry of
carved oak. c.1914 reredos with 15 carved oak panels of C17. C14 altar rail
with carved panels. Stained glass to all windows of Saints, 1914 by the Norwich
Glass Company. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL7330922913
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.