If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Ethelreda
Date Listed: 2 January 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 115094
OS Grid Reference: TL7854618236
OS Grid Coordinates: 578546, 218236
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8342, 0.5900
Explore more of the area around White Notley, Essex at Explore Britain.
TL 71 NE WHITE NOTLEY CHURCH HILL
7/222 Church of St. Ethelreda
Parish church. Cll Chancel then with an apse and Chancel arch. C13 apse
removed and present square extension built, possibly also the arch in the north
wall. Circa 1250 south aisle and south arcade of Nave and late C13 north aisle
and north arcade. C14 south porch. Late C15/early C16 timber belfry. Circa
1885 north vestry, possibly on the site of a former chapel. C19 and later
restorations. Flint rubble, the north and west walls plastered. Limestone
clunch and Roman brick and tile dressings. Red plain tiled roofs. Cross finial
to Chancel gable end. Square weatherboarded belfry surmounted by an octagonal
spirelet. Exterior. Chancel. East window of 3 lancets restored C19. Brick
buttresses to north and south walls. 3 windows to south wall, C19 lancet
eastern with C13 internal detail, central of similar form and date, restored,
western circa 1330. 2 trefoiled lights with tracery and 2 centred head.
Between these windows is a C13 doorway with chamfered jambs and 2 centred head.
C14/C15 framed and battened door. East of this door are traces of a Cll arch in
Roman brick and the former end of the Chancel. The C19 north vestry with 2
light eastern window adjacent to which is a re-set round headed window. Gabled
dormer with 2 lights. North aisle with 4 brick buttresses, eastern window of 2
cusped 2 centred head lights in a pointed segmental head. The western window
similar. North doorway. C13 with double chamfered 2 centred arch. South
aisle, south wall with three 2 light windows in 2 centred heads, the 2 eastern
are C14 restored, western Cl9/C20. There is a square headed window to the east
wall, west wall with C19 single light windows to north and south and a similar
date central 3 light window with tracery in a moulded segmental pointed head
with label. Above this window is a small pointed light with label. Buttresses to
each angle and right and left of central window. C14 gabled south porch with cambered
tie beam and 2 arched braces forming a 2 centred arch. East and West sides with brick
plinth and 6 lights with diamond mullions, collars to each rafter pair, cusped
bargeboards. C14 south door, moulded, panelled and with tracery to upper part. Strap
hinges. Interior. Chancel. Roof of 7 cants with moulded and carved wall plates.
4 C17 panels between ashlars one relating to Henry Neville, Knt. and Alice his wife
1639. C19 stained glass to windows. C19 mosaic reredos. C19 altar rails. Piscina
C13 double trefoiled heads, sunk quatrefoil over, above which is a C19 pointed arch.
To west of piscina are 3 trefoiled arches in plaster, date and use unknown. 2 centre
archway in north wall discovered during restorations of circa 1885. Above this archway
was the small round headed window, now in the east wall of the vestry. It is cut in
a single stone believed to be a Saxon gravestone. It contains stained glass
provisionally dated circa 1220 depicting a crowned figure holding a relic (thought to
be the oldest piece of English stained glass in Essex). There are 2 roundels of
stained glass in the north aisle window, one a child's head and one a robed crowned
figure, probably 200 years later in date Also in the vestry is a small piscina once
part of the original chapel, and 3 painted lino panels of the Lord's prayer and
10 Commandments. The C11 Chancel arch has square responds and semi-circular arch of
Roman brick. To either side of the chancel arch are plastered and painted niches with
semi-circular heads. Paintings possibly C16. Nave roof, 7 cants with 2 tie beams on
wall pieces with arch braces, these form 4 centred arches with void spandrels. South
arcade circa 1250 of 3 bays with arches similar to north arcade. Moulded capitals and
bases to round columns. Grafitti to eastern pillar. North arcade, late C13 of 3 bays
with octagonal columns and 2 centred arches. There are traces of paintings to pillars
and walls. In the south wall the line of the 2 centred arch of the former doorway
to the rood stairs is visible. "Thou God Seest Me" painted over north doorway.
C12 large dugout chest. C14 octagonal font, moulded base, 2 centred arches to stem,
bosses to soffit. Circular panels to each face with shields and faces, one a child in
a robe. North Aisle. Screen early C16. 5 bays, moulded cornice and mullion. Central
doorway with trefoiled and sub-cusped heads, carved spandrels. Side bays with ogee
heads, moulded mullions and cornice with 3 mortices over. South aisle screen. Early
C15. 5 bays including middle doorway with trefoiled and sub-cusped head, side bays
with cusped and traceried heads, moulded cornice and mullions. North aisle roof, 6
bays, moulded wall plate, curved braces to principals. South aisle roof, similar
with carved heads at the feet of principal rafters. Hatchment, Charles II. C20
carved wood pulpit, with pierced panels, centre panel of Christ the Shepherd supported
by a winged angel and surmounted by 2 kneeling angels. Floor slab Wm and Katherine
Cordale 1750, 1770. Bell turret. Late C15/early C16. 4 supporting columns with
moulded capitals. Arch braces to side girts. 2 centred arches to front and rear,
that to front with cusping. See Church Carpentry, C.A.Hewett for detailed drawing.
Mr Dennis King of Norwich pronounced the figures depicted St Etheldreda, who is the
only female saint depicted with a crown (Queen) and book (Abbess). The Bishop of
Colchester stated that we must assume she is the patron saint of White Notley Church.
The church was re-dedicated to St Etheldreda, Sunday 4th October 1959.
Listing NGR: TL7854618236
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.