British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Stable Range and Ancillary Buildings of Atlas Works, Earls Colne

Description: Stable Range and Ancillary Buildings of Atlas Works

Grade: II
Date Listed: 10 April 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 115910

OS Grid Reference: TL8556028816
OS Grid Coordinates: 585560, 228816
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9269, 0.6973

Location: Foundry Lane, Earls Colne, Essex CO6 2TT

Locality: Earls Colne
Local Authority: Braintree District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CO6 2TT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Earls Colne, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(west side)

8/62 No. 2 (stable range
and ancillary
buildings of Atlas
Works) and No. 4


Stable range and ancillary buildings of foundry. 1886-94. Red brick in English
and Flemish bond, with dressings of yellow, white and blue bricks, roofed with
slate. Aligned N-S along the W side of Foundry Lane, mainly with entrances into
the yard to the W; with a small office block at the S end, set back from the
remainder, with entrance to Foundry Lane. The central part of the long range is
of 2 storeys, the wings on each side of one storey. Owing to the gradient the
most southerly part of the long range is stepped down from the remainder. No.
4, the office block, is of 2 storeys. Elevation to Foundry Lane, central block,
in 3 bays with pilasters of yellow brick. One original cast iron casement with
semi-circular head, and semi-circular arch of yellow brick. 3 C20 wooden
casements. 6 original cast iron vents. Plinth in English bond approximately
one metre high, double-chamfered at the top, and Flemish bond above. Central
cast iron plaque with '1894' in raised lettering. Low-pitched roof with central
louvred wooden lantern, square witha pyramidal roof, supporting a weathervane
with a turned stem and iron rabbit, the trademark of Reuben Hunt. Axial chimney
at right end. The lower block to the right is of 8 unequal bays, with similar
plinth and pilasters. One axial stack. 2 original cast-iron casements like
that in the central block, and 4 original sashes of 16 lights with flat arches
of white brick with segmental soffits. One original cast iron vent. Double
3-panel doors set back within jambs and segmental arch of 2 orders of rounded
blue engineering bricks. Cast iron plaque at right end with raised lettering
'R. Hunt & Co. Ltd., Atlas Works'. Low-pitched roof, with 2-faceted hip at
right end, projecting and supported on one iron stanchion and 2 iron brackets
with diminishing circles in the spandrels, with turned finial at the apex. The
range to the left is in one long and 4 short bays, with pilasters of yellow
brick and similar plinth. One original cast iron casement in the long bay,
similar to the others. Low-pitched roof. The lower range further to the left
is in 11 bays with short pilasters of red brick and similar plinth. Central
cast iron plaque with raised lettering 'Built by Reuben Hunt 1886'. Near left
end, wrought iron bracket for missing gas lamp, with square holder. 2
asymmetrical north light roofs at the left end, with 2 louvred wooden vents in
each gable, the remainder low-pitched. No. 4, set back, is of red brick with
yellow brick quoins and dressings. 2 original 4-light sashes with segmental
arches with dropped key bricks. Central porch with plain door to front with
similar arch, and one 2-light sash in each side wall and cornice and dogtooth
course of white bricks. Wrought iron bracket over door for missing gas lamp,
with twisted stem, scrolled bracket and square holder. One stone step.
Curvilinear gable with stone parapet and recessed cast iron plaque with raised
lettering 'R. Hunt 1886'. The W elevation of the 2-storey block has a recessed
ground floor with 2 original horizontal sashes of 12 lights, one C20 casement
and 2 C20 doors. The upper storey is supported on 2 cast iron stanchions with
moulded bases and caps, with raised lettering 'F. Christy, Chelmsford', and has
2 original horizontal sashes of 12 lights, a central plain pitching door with
gabled canopy on scrolled brackets, turned pendant, and cast iron plaque with
raised lettering 'R. Hunt 1894', and plain pilasters. The range to the S of it
has one closed and 3 open bays, one post replaced by a steel girder, and a
softwood roof with raking queen struts, boarded, mainly original. The range
further S has 8 open bays, and the original softwood roof with raking queen
struts, boarded, and cast iron brackets to alternate posts. (J. Booker, Essex
and the Industrial Revolution, 1974, 82). To the SW, later workshops are
physically connected to the buildings described here, but they are of less
historical and architectural interest. See item 8/61.

Listing NGR: TL8556028816

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.