British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Pattiswick (Redundant), Bradwell

Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin, Pattiswick (Redundant)

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 21 December 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 116345

OS Grid Reference: TL8167124041
OS Grid Coordinates: 581671, 224041
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8853, 0.6383

Location: 24 Church Road, Bradwell, Essex CM7 8BQ

Locality: Bradwell
Local Authority: Braintree District Council
County: Essex
Country: England
Postcode: CM7 8BQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Bradwell, Essex at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TL 82 SW
(east side)
2/15 Church of St. Mary the
21.12.67 Virgin, Pattiswick


Parish church. C13 and C14, restored 1881-2 by E.J. Dampier. Flint rubble,
partly plastered externally, with dressings of limestone and clunch, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. Nave mid-C13, Chancel early C14, bell-turret C15 and
C19, S porch C16, rebuilt in C19, N vestry and organ-chamber, C19. The Chancel
has an E window which is C19 except for the C14 splays. In the N wall is a C14
doorway with moulded jambs of limestone and 2-centred arch of clunch; further W
is a C19 arch to the organ-chamber. In the S wall are 2 C14 windows, each of 2
pointed lights in a 2-centred head, with chamfered rear-arches; the eastern
window has been completely restored externally. Between the windows is a C14
doorway with chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch, much restored. There is no
chancel-arch. The roof of the Chancel is C14, of 14 rafter couples with tenoned
collars and soulaces, and ashlar-pieces, some of which are replaced; the
wallplates are moulded and crenellated. The N vestry has in the E wall a reset
C13 lancet window of which the jambs, sill and head are rebated and chamfered
externally. Reset in the N wall of the organ-chamber is a C14 window uniform
with those in the S wall of the Chancel, restored. The Nave has in the N wall 3
windows, of which the easternmost is uniform with that in the organ-chamber,
restored, and the others are C19. Between the 2 western windows is the C13 N
doorway, with plain jambs and 2-centred arch and a label chamfered above and
below. In the S wall are 3 windows; the easternmost is C19 except for the C14
splays and chamfered rear-arch; the second is C14, of 2 cusped lights with
recessed spandrels in a 2-centred head, the jambs and arch chamfered in 2
orders; the western window is a C13 lancet similar to that in the N vestry.
Between the 2 western windows is the C14 S doorway, with jambs and 2-centred
arch of 2 chamfered orders, partly restored. In the W wall is a C15 window of 3
cinquefoiled lights in a square head, wholly restored externally, with
hollow-moulded jambs and segmental rear-arch, and 2 plain loops. The roof of
the Chancel is early C14, of 21 couples with tenoned collars, soulaces and
ashlar-pieces, with moulded wallplates, and 2 tiebeams; the western tiebeam is
chamfered on the upper arrises, and has an octagonal crownpost with moulded base
and cap and 4-way rising braces. At the western end is an open studded gable,
separating it from the Chancel, incorporating a king-stud (of which the axial
brace has been removed) with straight down-braces trenched into both sides of
the studs. This roof is described and fully illustrated in C.A. Hewett, Church
Carpentry, a Study based on Essex examples, 1982, 16-17, 123. The bell-turret
at the western end rests on a C14 plain tiebeam; the structure is inaccessible,
but C19 purlins visible at the W gable suggest that it has been rebuilt; it has
a short octagonal spire, all weatherboarded. The S porch is of C19 grey brick
with a C16 roof in one bay, with plain principals, butt-purlins, short curved
wind-braces, and 4 common-couples. Fittings. There are 2 piscinae (1) in the E
wall of the Chancel, with moulded jambs and 2-centred head and octofoiled drain,
C14 (2) in the S wall of the Nave, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head and
sexfoiled drain, C14. There are 3 bells, of which the first is reported to be
by Miles Graye, 1668, and the second by Miles Graye, 1632. There are fragments
of C15-C17 glass in the top lights of the S windows of the Chancel, and the NE
and 2 eastern S windows of the Nave, reset with C19 glass. Floorslabs dated
1381 and 1568 are reported to be present below the N choir stalls, and another
dated 1638 with the name D'Arcy is reported to be concealed behind the organ.
At the time of inspection, July 1986, the pews had been removed pending
conversion of the building to secular use. RCHM (Pattiswick) 1.

Listing NGR: TL8167124041

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.